What do they say in your neck of the woods?

we always use farms to note directions...can't very much do that anymore with all the newbies that weren't born and raised though...

Go down to the Johnson's farm and then head out toward Eickman's...and when there's a fork in the road veer left, & when you come up to that little cemetary hang right...

me,
g

"Hang a right"... I had totally forgotten about that one.

This thread has really made me think though. Today when I told my son to kennel up (get in the car) and if he didn't he was going to get bus left (I was going to drive off without him) it really hit me. Those phrases are pretty local.

Quote:
Maybe they had already had dinner earlier, and they all got together later for supper!

Supper when I grew up was a snack you had before ed - like toast

In New England a basement is a "cellar", and you go "down cellar" when you go into the basement. A window is a "winder". I grew up in Northern Indiana. When we went to visit someone we "went by their house".

mainer,,,,, "i'll be there bumbye"
big_smile.png

I grew up in central NC and we say breakfast, lunch, and supper. But dinner can be said in place of lunch or supper both. ??? I know it's weird. The first time my wife heard me say washing powders for laundry detergent, she laughed.

Back
Top Bottom