What Do You Do When Your Dogs Are The Killers?

Turtle, It was ridiculous, I agree, but it was how I was taught growing up in East Texas, and it did work for other dogs in the neighborhood when I was a kid. I have seen that cure collies, poodles, pekinese and other breeds, and I was grasping at straws. In my defense, it was a bantam, and there wasnt that much left, so it was mostly symbolic.
I have written to a couple of folks on here that a dog trainers, asking for advice and help in redirecting this dogs energy and mania, so if you have any suggestions to bring to the table, they are welcomed.
She has not gotten any more chickens, but she is now charging the gate in attempts to get past me or my kids and into the yard. None of my other dogs do this, including a Bloodhound, a Bloodhound/Beagle mix, and a Terrier, so I am in dire need of help. I am facing knee and possibly brain surgery in the next month, and I cant risk her knocking me down and getting in. I also cant get rid of her, there is no place for her to go.

If the dogs and chickens are out, the dogs are on 25 ft leads. The chickens know right where that dog can go to. My dog would happily kill every chicken we have, but $10 at Walmart later, problem solved.
cool.png

My dog pushed at the chicken wire until she had made a small opening. It was far too small for her to get at them through but the chickens got out! Why would they leave the coop when there was a dog outside waiting for them??

I am of the dog is just a dog school. She's a lab mix and she retrieved the chickens. They both died, but there was not a tooth mark on them. She was doing as she had been bred.

I was/am heartsick over it, but its not the dog's fault - it's mine. I will be making the coop more secure and the dog is gated when the chickens are not and vice versa. In our family the dog is a pet and the chickens are livestock but I know that is not how other people view it....

I'm sorry I upset people with my opinion about getting rid of the dogs.

If you really cant train the dogs to stop the behavior, then I would call up the rescue where you got them and maybe they can help, by refering a dog trainer etc.​

Quote:
If you really cant train the dogs to stop the behavior, then I would call up the rescue where you got them and maybe they can help, by refering a dog trainer etc.

Hun, you do what you have to do, and you dont worry what I, or any one else, says or thinks about it. You know what your life is like, and what you can and can't handle. I am sorry if I chewed on you a little. I got chewed on too, but you know what, they dont have to deal with our issues. You did a good thing by getting the one back to the rescue, and as for the other, with the investment folks have in feed and chickens, and the fact that chickens can feed your family and the dog just eats, well, do what you have to do. I am sorry I jumped on you and got all high and mighty, that was wrong of me, and I have no room to talk, truth be told, with what I just spent on feed for my chickens and materials for the coop and such, my ex told me that if she gets another, he is going to get rid of her. I rescued a mastiff today, for a family that couldnt keep him because they were losing their home, and all it took was once for him hitting the hotwire, and he decided he didnt like the idea of the chickens anymore. Some dogs can be taught, some cant, and some of us have the endurance to deal with it, and some dont. Those that have the endurance are more than welcome to adopt said problem animals, but those of us who are facing greater battles, have to lessen the burden in any way we can. Again, I apologize to you for getting on your case, and I wish you peace and I am sorry for your losses. :aww

Yes, you probably should find new homes for these dogs. However, I feel that basic obedience training is a MUST for any dog and dog owner (together). If you can't make the dog obey you when off leash, you can't trust them around anything or anybody. That is just my opinion. I had a 10-year-old rottie that I raised from birth when I got my first flock of chickens (as day old chicks). He had never seen a chicken before that day. He was introduced to the chicks by me, supervised of course, and made a grab at one right off. He was immediately scolded and told that he was to protect them. Ever since then, he adopted my chickens. They were his babies and NOBODY was gonna hurt them. He LOVED those chickens. When it was time to lock up the henhouse at night, he always led the way and, while I was opening the big door to do a head count, he stuck his big head through the chicken door and did a "sniff" count. He always knew when there was one missing too and would start searching for it. He saved several of my hens from I think certain predation by doing this. Gosh, but I miss that dog everyday. He was a personal protection dog (for me) and I trained him myself. He obeyed me whether off or on lead, except when he got on the trail of a skunk that was after the chickens one night. He killed the skunk (one bite to the back of the skunk) and got a mouthful of skunk spray for his trouble. He had skunk breath for nearly a year from that. He guarded over those chickens until I had to move them elsewhere when I was forced to move to where I couldn't keep them at home anymore. Coincidentally, where I moved to the neighbor had a few chickens in a little coop, and my dog adopted her chickens too. He protected them from stray dogs that he felt came too close to the coop. He would just lay down near the run and moon over the chickens.

f74.jpg

Having English Cockers I have to realize they were bred to flush and retreive - and so my chickens and dogs have to be trained and watched when together. Right now, the announcement - Chicken Hour tells everyone in the family that the dogs have to stay inside for a while.

After the 4th of July weekend, I have to be in the Bay Area for my brother's wedding, I will begin introducing my Delightful Duo to the Delightful Dozen. We will see how it goes.

When i decided to do the whole thing with chickens i got a surprise from my lab red doberman mix. She will kill them and show them as gifts. Imagine my wifes surprise when she came home to see the dog outside with her fovorite cinnamon queen next to the drive waiting for us to get home to see what she had gotten for us. After doing everything i could think of to stop her i finally gave in and bought electric fencing to install around my run. The only way she can get in now gives her a very jolting shock. She did however try one more time and we just sat and watched. She got bit in the nose by the electricity and i haven't been able to drag her back there again. This is year two and no problems, dogs, racoons, possums, or anything otherwise. GOnna have to go knock on some wood now of course.
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom