What do you do with Day old roosters?

I didn't put in the ad that I'm going to kill and feed the chicks to my ferrets. I just stated on this thread that any left over will be fed to the ferrets. I've obviously upset a few people on this thread, That isn't what I plan to do. I refuse to keep the roosters for the simple fact is I cannot afford to feed something that is worthless to me and others, I've tried to get rid of the roosters, And thats all I can do apart from hope someone takes them for the right reasons. Sadly, others left over will have to be dispatched, Thats just a way of life I'm afraid.

Last edited:
I didn't put in the ad that I'm going to kill and feed the chicks to my ferrets. I just stated on this thread that any left over will be fed to the ferrets. I've obviously upset a few people on this thread, That isn't what I plan to do. I refuse to keep the roosters for the simple fact is I cannot afford to feed something that is worthless to me and others, I've tried to get rid of the roosters, And thats all I can do apart from hope someone takes them for the right reasons. Sadly, others left over will have to be dispatched, Thats just a way of life I'm afraid.
The thing is, no matter what you do, or what you say, someone somewhere will be offended. You have to do what's best for you and your operation.

Just Curious, what breed chicken are you hatching? Sorry if you said. I didn't remember reading it
smile.png

Cheers for the comments of support guys-
Just an update, Thankfully we got mostly hens, and most of the roosters I got went, Hopefully for the right reasons. Sadly a couple were dispatched humanly and given to the ferrets which I knew would happen.

@Lovinchicks, I've hatched Welsummers. Very nice chicks.

Got another batch in due to hatch next Saturday, Wish me luck:)

Long ago when I was really into breeding chickens most of my cockerels went to the needy neighbors. I lived a very poor area and the cockerels were a much needed source of protein. While I didn't charge for the young birds I was often given jellies, jams, corn, beans and other things from the garden in exchange.

Back then you helped your neighbor and they helped you.

Best way that, Sharing is caring. Too bad today's world isn't quite like that. But yeah theres no need to charge, especially for stuff you dont need. I give away all the roosters I could to save me the guilt of killing too many, at the same time I wouldn't want them treat poorly, But couldn't guarantee they would be treat nicely for whatever purpose they were taken for because I didn't know the people, neither were they local.

I dont like to kill anything, but I have eaten surplus Roosters that I could not find homes for, simply because they were agressive. After getting flogged by them a few times, it was nice to have them in the freezer, but docile Roosters like my Brahmas and Cochin, . . . .I dont feel right about killing them. I would not kill one day old roos, think about how they made it that first 21 days, it would be a waste. So I would raise them and if you cant rehome them, eat them. A huge bonus of eating roos youn raised yourself is that you KNOW how they were raised, what they ate, and HOW they were prepped for the table. It really is frightening to actually know what they feed and how they process commerical animals for us all to eat. My roos were very lean when when did eat them. None of that gross cutting off the fat for . .. .what seems like forever because we all dont wanna eat fat, its healthier without it and tastes better!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom