What do you do with Day old roosters?

I'm going to be getting started in incubating and hatching - working on breeding some Columbian Rock Crosses (Columbian Roo/RIR Hen)

If I get roos I'll keep them and get rid of them on craigslist or raise them and process them for dinners. But I'm a hobbyist, not a professional trying to make a living off of chickens - if I was a professional I don't know if I'd want to deal with the hassle of craigslist or wasting feed on them.

If I had excess boys and knew they were so at day olds, finding a snake owner or a reptile owner who needs to feed their pet is an excellent way to use that day old life. Yes, it is a life, but as life goes, it can provide nourishment to another animal vs throwing in the trash.

Even better, if you did not have the time to sell small batches of rooster chicks, perhaps there is a raptor center who could use the birds.

Thanks for the replies, I cant reply individually because that'd be too much trouble. I've read all of them though and I've decided to put them on the craigslist to give them a chance of life, I also added on the add the people wanting them will need to pick them up within 24 hours of them hatching. If theres any left over, they will be killed and fed to my ferrets sadly.

Thanks for the replies, I cant reply individually because that'd be too much trouble. I've read all of them though and I've decided to put them on the craigslist to give them a chance of life, I also added on the add the people wanting them will need to pick them up within 24 hours of them hatching. If theres any left over, they will be killed and fed to my ferrets sadly.

Just a suggestion, leave the word KILLED out of the ad and just say fed to ferrets. You might get some emails you don't want if you say KILL a day old chick
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom