What do you do with excess roosters?

I have 4 roosters and 28 hens. Only 7 hens are fully grown. The rest haven’t reached laying age. So far the roosters and hens all get along. I plan on hatching next year so the Roos I get will be separated and raised as meat birds while the hens will join the flock.

I'll eat them. And as in earlier post, I won't name them, unless it is something like "Stew" or "BBQ", something in line with their destiny.
Lol I gotta share this.
Buddy mine bought a calf. Has 5 kids. Told them all its name is hamburger so they know what its for. Later on he's loading "hamburger" into the trailer while the kids are asking "we gonna have hamburgers tonight?" Poor Steve had tears in his eyes. Lol

I have a bachelor pad with room for growth. Right now my biggest flock of 18 includes 6 cockerels with 12 pullets, so if I need to move a few it's no big hassle. Multiple coops is a BIG plus. Also, bachelor coops are WAAYY easier to poop scoop and far less stinky lol.

I have a bachelor pad with room for growth. Right now my biggest flock of 18 includes 6 cockerels with 12 pullets, so if I need to move a few it's no big hassle. Multiple coops is a BIG plus. Also, bachelor coops are WAAYY easier to poop scoop and far less stinky lol.
Do roosters poop less than hens?

I have had these precious little fluff balls for a week now and already feel really attached. We ordered 15 unsexed, so chances are well have a fair amount of roos. We were planning to cull the extras to eat, but I don't know now.....

What do you all do with extra roos? What is a good roo to hen ratio?
This may be just something I do when I accidentally get too many roosters, but I have an extra coop that I let them kinda live in, but for the most part they free range with the turkeys. A few of them I was too attached to, and couldn't cull them so they just live mostly free, and whoever wants to go into the coop at night can, but I don't try to catch them and put them in. They decide whether to roost in the woods or inside the coop, and in the morning I open the doors and feed them just enough to where they aren't underweight. but for the most part they live out in the woods or meadow. And they're still all reasonably friendly and come up for treats, but keep the tick population down and get a second chance at life! it's a win win for my situation!

Back
Top Bottom