What do you get when you cross breed Rhode Island red and golden comet?

herb potts

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 10, 2012
I have a Rhode Island red rooster and golden comet hens? what kind of offspring can I expect if I incubate a couple dozen eggs?

Guess I will do a follow up... here is the same chick I posted pictures of in November.

The mother is a Rhode Island Red, father a golden comet. I was there, physically present the exact moment the egg was laid, I marked it with the date and name of the hen.

I know for 100% the hen was a RiR, but this chick looks totally like a golden comet in coloring.

I wish I'd let the hen lay on a few more, so I could compare siblings.

The results out of my RIR Rooster over Comet Hens led to the hens looking like RIR minus the black tail feathers, the roosters were nearly identical in color to the Comet hens, with the littlest bit of white trim at the bottom edge if the neck feathers. I believe if someone would do it, that the cross between either or of these back to a RIR would result in a nearly pergect replica of a RIR. Just my humble opinion.

Last edited:
:yuckyuck

Hard to tell with the hybrid crosses sometimes what you will end up with, because the possibilities are many. Likely though it'll be a good layer!

Last edited:
Hi. I'm semi new here. I've been a new chicken owner since April. We have 3 golden comets (2 hens and a rooster) and 13 Rhode Island Red hens.

I'm resurrecting this older post because, as I mentioned above, our rooster is a golden comet. We have let one of our hens hatch out a couple eggs (only one hatched) and I'm curious if the breed of rooster makes a difference in the inherited genetics.

In this original post, OP had a RiR rooster and a golden comet hen. I have the opposite. Will that make any difference in what features/genetics get passed on? Will it still be sexlinked by color?

Back
Top Bottom