What do you grow to feed the chickens??

I bought Garden Huckleberry aka SOlanum guineense to plant for my families use but after further investigation, and the horrendous amount of sugar to make them edible, I'm inclined to give them to to the chickens. An annual, and best used after frost and VERY ripe and lots of sugar, this artile indicates that the birds will steal them--- And THAT made me think of the chickens!! Grow these for the chickens!!
This is an article but the seeds actually came from eBUrgess. Oh, and the "guineense" is the variety name, the specie name gets dropped from the nomenclature.

http://www.growyourown.info/page75.html

I would be concerned about growing these with young children around.

Quote: I'll bet, maybe she can give you some of them while you are there instead of throwing them out.
big_smile.png
Yup!!

Quote: Linda, as far as I know oxine is just a concentrated form of standard cholrine bleach.

We purchased an European deer attracting mix of seed from TSC, I cover the bottom of a 5 gal bucket add some water wait until it's good and sprouted out and give it to the chickens. The mix had brassicas and clover in it. They love it never a single seed left. it's a great end of the week treat, I do however have it under a protected top so that if it rains it would fill those buckets. (We harvest rainwater elsewhere)

We purchased an European deer attracting mix of seed from TSC, I cover the bottom of a 5 gal bucket add some water wait until it's good and sprouted out and give it to the chickens. The mix had brassicas and clover in it. They love it never a single seed left. it's a great end of the week treat, I do however have it under a protected top so that if it rains it would fill those buckets. (We harvest rainwater elsewhere)
That sounds great! I have been sprouting Boss to give my birds as a treat, I will get some of the European deer mix and try it also. Thanks for sharing.

The deer forage mixes are designed to be palatable and nutritious. You will get a lot more for the money if you actually plant it. If you free range your birds, let it get established, and provide access. If the birds are confined, cut and carry. I use the mixes to, but I would consider a waste to sprout and feed them. Try planting it, and see how it does for you.

The deer forage mixes are designed to be palatable and nutritious. You will get a lot more for the money if you actually plant it. If you free range your birds, let it get established, and provide access. If the birds are confined, cut and carry. I use the mixes to, but I would consider a waste to sprout and feed them. Try planting it, and see how it does for you.
Would I have to plow or till up the pasture or can I over seed in the existing grass? I do not have a plow and we loaned our tiller to our son and he has not brought it home. lol

Back
Top Bottom