What do you have in your flock?

Im a newbie too but I have a barred rock and their barring is more distinct black and white, this looks a little blurred which made with think dominique or cuckoo maran
not sure though..
Could be! I hope someone with more experience than us chimes in. I'm curious especially since I'm getting 2 Barred Rock within the week.

That is so cool that you added the personalities, egg sizes, and additional temperament info. I could identify with some of the breeds you listed as being just like the breeds I had over the years. I wound up not keeping Leghorns or Marans because they got way too pushy to downright mean towards the gentler docile breeds so we rehomed the aggressive breeds. The Marans were skittish around people but mean to flockmates. It's nice to keep assertive breeds together like RIR, BRs, Legs, Marans, Wyans, Orps, Lorps, etc because they can hold their own with each other in the pecking order but adding docile breeds to the mix can cause problems as we found out the hard way. Now I only keep docile/gentle tempered breeds in the backyard flock and there's less diva drama. At first, eggs from pretty birds was a goal but after mixing aggressive with docile breeds, we opted to go with the docile breeds and really there was not that much egg productivity that was sacrificed -- some eggs were smaller or not a variety of color but we had a more peaceful backyard flock.

I've heard of BR being more dominant/pushy. My one adult barred rock (have two in the brooder) is completely indifferent to the flock. She does her own thing and has no interest in being a part of their daily business. She sweet with people and doesn't pick on other birds. She just ignores them all together. She may be a bit "special" though, so that could play into it.

That is funny, mistaking a pretty rare breed for a generic sex link. Who made that mistake?
Old post, but the feed store had ideal chicks. Had red stars and bantams in the same bin. Since she was clean legged, she was a
Red star says the employee, because bantams all have feathered legs. Obviously, I wasn't familiar with bantams at all since I never cared to own one. Doh. Still kinda mad I traded 6 big brown eggs a week for 1 tiny white egg and a broody hen to boot (which I absolutely did not want). I have added a beautiful blue ameraucana and she's an egg machine. 17 eggs since she started laying 18 days ago.

Last edited:
Nankins are pretty rare -- who does she seem to toodle around with most of the time since she is so little?
I was worrried she'd be bullied, but all 4 of my hens all seem pretty tight. My BR will be dominant hen and my EE will be low girl. Blue A. and nankin in the middle. I rehomed my older two hens.

Does she have a rose comb or single comb?
Single. Not show quality at all, but true to standard. Not bad for a hatchery. She squatted yesterday for the first time and has really redended. Expecting an egg soon. If she lays a few eggs a week and doesn't go broody, I'll be eggstatic. Sounds like a long shot though.

Back
Top Bottom