What do you have in your flock?

In the majority of chicken breeds the female chicks grow in tail feathers very quickly so that by one month they've got some cute tail fluff. The male chicks will grow in saddle feathers first (on their back) and take a longer time to grow sickle (tail) feathers, also by about 7 weeks the males will start showing much redder combs compared to the pale pink combs of the female juveniles. The females will start showing very red comb/wattles just before POL.

Thanks! I think almost all are girls, but the SF/Marans has me doubting. But the wattles are still a very light pink, not as red as I though earlier, so hopefully it is a she as well!

Had to look up Nankin, never heard of them. Pretty little bantams.
Yeah, little thing was supposed to be a red star. Oops. She's an awesome bird, though. Best personality by far of them all.

Attachments

• IMG_5073.JPG
    IMG_5073.JPG
    877 KB · Views: 7
I have:
- Easter eggers
- Cochins
- Barred Rock
- ISA brown
- Jersey Giant
- Dixie Rainbow
- White Leghorn
- Buff Orpington
- Black sex link
- Red sex link
- Silver laced wyandotte
- Golden laced wyandotte
- A random red breed that wasn't labeled at the store and a random black breed that also wasn't. They're very small. Later, I'll work harder to identify them.
- Two turkeys.
And, in the incubator I have 14 eggs. All but three have shown signs of development and there are seven in which I have been able to see the embryo moving. :) They will be crosses with cochins and a variety of the other breeds I've listed above. Should be interesting looking guys. :)

This is one of our girls, but I am not sure what she is. Does anyone know?

Attachments

• CB53CBE0-595D-4BEB-BE1D-D2946AACBEBE.jpeg
    CB53CBE0-595D-4BEB-BE1D-D2946AACBEBE.jpeg
    754.7 KB · Views: 9
I started this grand experiment in November. Was only supposed to have 2 Buff Orpingtons and 2 Lavender Orpingtons, no roosters.
Due to misdiagnoses of genders of the LO:barnie I now have 2 Buff Orpingtons, 1 Silver Lace Wyandotte, 1Easter Egger, 1 Lavender Orpington Rooster, and in one week will be picking up my 2 Barred Rock pullets.
Chicken Math.:he
:love

Back
Top Bottom