What do you have predator wise?

southerndesert

B & M Chicken Ranch
8 Years
Jun 17, 2011
Morristown, AZ
I lived in MI, WI, and IL. before moving to AZ and in those lush green areas we had to deal with many of the same predators as I read about here and I feel for you all. Here in AZ I have not seen a raccoon, possum, weasel, or even a skunk as we are in the desert away from any natural or man made source for drinking water.

We deal with some formidable foes though nothing like the bear attack I read about here....

Our main headaches are from,

Hawks (several species especially in winter)
Coyote
Fox
Stray dogs
Rats and ground squirrels
Snakes

That is about it for our area that we actually see around our property and I know that is a small list for many here at the forum. Figured this thread may help some new to keeping poultry to see what is in their area and what to prepare for when building their coop/pen.

So what do you have to deal with?

83761_chicspider.jpg

83761_snakechic.jpg

83761_snakechic3.jpg

83761_baby_chupacabre.jpg

83761_fatchick.jpg

Ummm...don't know what to say about post #2...lol.
lol.png

We have raccoons, coyotes (just hear them sometimes of the late evenings/nights, but haven't seen any out and about), possums, lots of red tailed hawks. I'm sure we must have foxes, but I've not actually seen any around here. I've seen plenty of snakes around here, but not anything dangerous. Come to think of it, I've not seen just the common rat snake (which I guess is what I grew up calling a black snake - although they weren't really black) around here either??? I worry more about dogs though than the wild critters....

Last edited:
earlier this year we've had losses to
stray dogs
coyotes
foxes
raccoons

have lost eggs to skunks and snakes (which one snake in particular I don't mind eating an egg or two since she is our resident girl and helps keep the rodents down)

in the area we also have mountain lions
bobcats
ringtail cats
weasels

but have never had any losses from them...... yet

Quote:
i want one as a pet.. even if it is a manmade taxidermy special

looks like one of my pits LOL

obtw we have yotes fox both kind bobkitties and the usual coon possum skunk weasels otter nutria muskrat hawk redtails and kestrels and ospreys and owls
smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom