What do you love about chickens?

I love watching my girls dust bathe together. It's so funny. Also watching them chase each other around the yard when someone finds a goodie. Getting healthy fresh eggs, growing kale and other goodies just to feed them good fresh treats, and sitting with them in the coop every morning... This gives me purpose! Watching my 5 year old collect eggs and carrying a chicken around. It's priceless. Chickens are the best!!!

What do I love about chickens? This: I love this. I hope all of your precious flocks thrive always 🐓❤️
IMG_5874.jpeg

Their PERSONALITIES!. Some are lovers, some are goofy, some are flighty, some are broody! They make my laugh regularly. I sometimes have to yell at them:eek:(after 9 months of laying in nest boxes last week my leghorns and my EE. decide to lay in darkest remotest corner of coop in bedding)!!!!! What the??? :bow:he:barnie:idunno. But I still love the little goofballs.

Patient showing off in front of the 2 new pullets. Shes 28 months old all of a sudden acting like a rooster! Shes never been around a rooster! She was doing an odd side step dance last week before she chased the new gal. So funny.
View attachment 3583110
Side step action isnt a fance,its basically a warning rooster gives to make hens or humans or other animals move from their position or to direct them

I have 5 roosters and 3 hens.

My hens dont want to lay eggs in the garden, they always go upstairs where they sleep.Yes they sleep inside the house.

They refuse to sleep outside. Its been the case since they were little. The oldest one are 14 months and the young ones are 5 months

I somehow impose story lines on the activities and antics that play out.

Early on, my black cat (David) loved to stalk and chase my hens. He didn't hurt them or catch them, this weird bastard just likes to hear them scream.

During the early days, he was stalking Lucy. Lucy is smart. Like scary smart. She's a Cinnamon Queen and a pig.

So, David is stalking Lucy and Lucy has found a treasure trove of bugs under the slide on the swing set. David is under the impression he is well hidden. Lucy waits for David to get close and pops her head up and gives him side eye. Literally let's him know she can see him.

David, undeterred, scoots around to another angle and creeps up a bit more. Lucy pops her head up, more side eye, 'I can STILL SEE YOU'.

Still undeterred, David adjusts his position. Lucy, annoyed now, pops her head up, administers more side eye and adds some verbal commentary.

David now thinking he has the drop on her is winding up for a pounce. His tail twitching, waving in the air. Butt wiggles, the whole 9 yards...this is happening in 5, 4, 3....

What David failed to notice was that Lucy's commentary summoned Lady. Lady was boss hen. Lady had slowly been creeping up behind David and seconds before he pounced, he exposed his starfish lifting his tail straight up.

Lady let no opportunity pass. She went Beak deep in the ol' poop shoot. David leapt 3 feet in the air if it was an inch. It was David's turn to scream.

I crossed my legs to prevent peeing myself I was laughing so hard. To make that harder than necessary, I swear to God! Lucy popped up with more commentary that sounded surrealistically like she was laughing. With in seconds, the entire flock was cackling with glee.

And THAT is why I enjoy my chooks so much.
I absolutely LOVE this story! The way you tell it feels like I'm watching a video of all the "action". ('Exposed his starfish"...OMG!)

Back
Top Bottom