What do you think killed my chicken? (picture of feathers included) (Lost another more pictures)

biteme2134

Songster
6 Years
Jul 21, 2013
GA
My Coop
My Coop
I think I lost an Ameraucana today. We sit on a 2 acre lot (1 acre mine 1 acre my neighbors) and the chickens free range from 10am on most days. We lost a rooster to a coyote last year and have seen a hawk try to get one of our older hens before (the hawk was smaller than the chicken). We have 24 birds so it's just nicer on them to let them roam around (and we know the risk). I just would like some feedback on what you think I'm dealing with.

I went to get eggs today around 430pm and found a pile of feathers out in the open about 10 feet from the coop. It was one of my younger birds, around 6 months old. My wonder is if that hawk maybe went for one of the smaller birds this time...

Also as I did a head count one of my full grown partridge rocks is completely missing w/out a trace. I know they'll go hide if they get super scared so she could show up in the morning, but she could be gone as well.

Last edited:
I still am sticking to my idea that is a hawk, for even a full grown amaracaun(sorry my spelling is bad) is usualy donly three to four pounds max; being only six months old, is not fully grown, would weigh enough for a hawk to scoop it away

The more I look at the feathers the more I'm going with Farmerbrowne...hawk. Most of the feathers are in one location: I think the hawk attacked, there was an obvious struggle, maybe it ate some right there, but then flew off with the bird. There's a few straggling feathers. But if it was a four-legged predator I think there would be more of a trail, or maybe a pile at the first attack, then a trail to some degree, or another spot close-by the original attack, as the predator continues to kill the bird. Considering it's daylight, and the kill was rather close to the house, if a four-legger was daring enough, it would most likely make the attempt to kill, but grab the bird regardless, and hit the road.

I believe the evidence, is not without a reasonable doubt, but points most strongly to the hawk. Unfortunately, with free-rangers, that's part of the risk. I've had the same problem, because I like my chickens to free-range too. I've taught my dogs to know that the hawk call is a "bad" sound and I point up to the sky. They see the hawk and associate the call with the bird. I've taught them to watch for the "bad birdies in the sky." And they do, and will keep hawks away....when they're not on some other job, like napping.

I hope the bad guy goes somewhere else for its meals. Sincerest wishes.

How far is the coop from your house? - Nearby activity can give us a better idea: A kill during the day by a four-legger would be a bit unusual (except for a dog). Bobcats are pretty stealth, I think highly unlikely during the day. Foxes not as stealth as a bobcat, but a daylight kill seems unlikely. Coyotes can be quite brazen, and I wouldn't doubt a daylight kill; but they're smart and sensitive to noise, so they're usually more of a night-time killer. I can't tell from the picture, but if there is any kind of a trail of feathers, it's probably a four-legger. They will carry off their kill to the pack or the den.

If there's no trail of feathers (Make sure you look around carefully, i.e., nearby fences may have fur of the killer on it.), it's probably a hawk. They'll peck at the chicken's head first, kill it, and then eats what it can. They'll carry off what they haven't eaten, just like the four-leggers. Hawks come in all sizes, and the larger ones can carry off a grown chicken, no problem.

I've rarely seen any blood or body parts left behind by any of the above-mentioned chicken killers, unless the kill is interrupted. All of the above are killers of opportunity, and if the kill was recent (spring), remember, they have babies to feed too. Therefore, what's "normal" is no longer normal when there's more mouths to feed. Whatever it was, it will probably be back.

I'm very sorry for your loss.
Bobcats do come out during the day and do kill during the day. I live in California and I have lost several chickens to bobcats and they were all during the day. They pulled some of my polish right thru a chain link fence. They are bold. I just saw one on the other side of my fence the other day just licking its chops. I only let my chickens out to free range after 3 pm. I have not had any more losses since then.
Marie

My guess would be like you figured hawk or eagle. I only say that because of there is no sign of any remains. do you have a lot of hawks around? another thing I wonder is if you have a lot of brush and "stuff" in your yard. Last year I had a similar incident and thought something got my bird with all the feathers around, but much to my amazment my hen must have gotten under an old car and acually was brooding a half dozen chicks!

My experience has been, trail of feathers is normally a fox, coon or coyote. A circle of feathers is usually a hawk! That pic looks like a four legged critter.

Last edited:
It was some time during daylight hours is what made me lean more towards a hawk -
  • joed1223 - is this a circle? There was a trickle of feathers as you walked outward but not really in a line toward any one direction... so i wondered if maybe the bird was skipping around away from whatever was going for her...

Back
Top Bottom