What do you think of your coop years later?

My coop has went through a few transitions over the past 5 years. We started with an 8x16, then added 4x8 on one end that I use for storage and as in coop brooder, 8x8 more in closed coop with roost and nest boxes on other end and then the cattle panel hoop run. In the winter we cover the front open area with clear corrugated panels and the run with a tarp. I can separate it into 3 different sections for breeding or separating roosters in the spring.
The only thing I would like to do is extend out the original 8x16 area in the front and build a separate bachelor pen away from the main coop. But my husband says he is done, no more coops or additions.
C4EDDD67-76E9-4F33-BBC1-690BD83CE921.jpeg

97FFD864-8CAC-4037-8576-1BAE95A25179.jpeg

589ADA38-9F0A-4403-855B-A1FF541DE2F7.jpeg

Attachments

• AE672572-4B16-42B0-8B3D-73C96D2A53B4.jpeg
    AE672572-4B16-42B0-8B3D-73C96D2A53B4.jpeg
    926.4 KB · Views: 2
I have a nice 6 x 8, stand up in coop. It has been very good for me. I did add an automatic door which I use in the winter.

What I changed was to an totally enclosed chain link run. We used chain link fencing for the sides and ceiling. We lined the lower section with chicken wire to keep chicks in. It has kept the coons OUT! Thank God. We bought the chainlink used.

Mrs K

Wellllll??????? This was March.

Any update thus far? Links to the pics etal?
Oh, sorry. No, got no satisfaction from that guy. Got a good man from our church to come and make all kinds of repairs, both to the door and to the roosts. It's like having a whole new coop. I'm so happy! So here's the new interior, showing poop trays and roosts. SO much easier to clean! :celebrate He also put in new ventilation at both ends (which is still not quite suffiicient, but is much more than I had before!), AND turned the window over, so it's now hinged at the top. This means I can leave it open when it rains or snows, and no longer have to run outside in a sudden rainburst, dodging lightning flashes, to close it.

20220707_163436.jpg

I started Coop Uno in April 2017 from a plan I found online that Home Depot sponsored so it must have been good right?

Here is a photo of the original build. Looked like a coop I thought but what did I know?
View attachment 2940578
Far from it actually... after multiple modifications to the coop I finally had a place for the chickens to roost only, no room for anything else.

As it stands today the inside stays pretty clean using PDZ under the roosts.
View attachment 2940583

The overall view of Coop Uno.
View attachment 2940584
I'm happy with the design of the run, just wish I had room for more overhang and should have extended the roof over the door a couple of feet for sure.

Coop Deux, I started converting a shed in February 2018 but didn't get very far until January 2020 when I really got going putting in a dividing wall for the shed.
Here is the dividing wall today.
View attachment 2940587

Inside the coop not much has changed in the last 2 years except the roll out nest box was rejected in favor of a cardboard box or two. And I lengthened the poop table and roost as it was too small for 12 Cinnamon Queens once they were fully grown.
View attachment 2940588
View attachment 2940589
View attachment 2940590

Inside the run is unfortunately where they spend most days, sometimes I let them out in the little yard they have while being supervised.
I've made a few changes like adding roosts, a pallet and a new feeder which I like a lot and so do the hens.
View attachment 2940592
View attachment 2940593

Finishing off the Chicken Crack!
View attachment 2940594

Outside the run is the same.
View attachment 2940595

So in conclusion I still hate Coop Uno every time I clean the PDZ or try to do anything on the inside of it, it's just too small and too low and the list goes on and on.

On the other hand Coop Deux I like it as it so easy to clean the Poop Table I can do it with one hand an usually have no choice when Betty Boop is in one hand.

The only drawback to having half a shed a coop is the dust it bad on the other side...

JT
This is a wonderful job:thumbsup:thumbsup

That's a real nice setup, can you stand up in the hoop coop?

I'm jealous of all that flat ground, if I need a flat spot I have to fire up the hoe.

JT
Thank you, I believe my poop boards were based on your design.
The hoop run is over 6 ft because my husband can stand in it and he is 6ft. We made everything so I can walk through it. The first couple months I had a converted dog house but realized quickly that was not going to work for northern NY winters and cleaning was a pia.

Back
Top Bottom