What do you use for housing?

tiggerdagibit

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 29, 2017
Winston Salem, NC
Hello! I’m new to quail and wanted to get opinions on what type of cage you use. I currently have 6 coturnix that are almost 4 weeks old and have 25 more eggs coming in a few weeks.
I currently have them in a large guinea pig style cage which is great but it won’t hold many more comfortably. I’ve seen quail cages with poop trays and egg rollouts that look awesome but they’re pretty expensive too. So what do you use or what would you recommend? Thanks!

I just started in February … my first 2 hatches are now around 11 and 8 weeks (ish) … I’ve got 20 hens and 4 roos in a cage we built based on the “slightly rednecked” YouTube channel’s Chris’ design.

I also bought a used rabbit hutch and retrofitted it to be a double layer quail hutch and am using it for my “extra roo” grow out.

We are about to build a second “slightly rednecked” style but design it as condos for breeding with 1 roo per condo rather than the colony breeding in the big hutch.

My goals were to have them outside and the feces fall to the ground … I do have to empty the tray in the top floor of the red grow out but it won’t always have birds in it and I only have 4 in there now …
I also wanted auto water and feeders to keep it as simple as possible …

Hope that helps!
Lots of options with quails!

Attachments

• 6FA7828E-BA72-4FD5-919F-8A87BB19EE9E.jpeg
    6FA7828E-BA72-4FD5-919F-8A87BB19EE9E.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 4
  • 42156EAB-067D-4BB4-A9BF-E750828F51DE.jpeg
    42156EAB-067D-4BB4-A9BF-E750828F51DE.jpeg
    982.6 KB · Views: 4
I just started in February … my first 2 hatches are now around 11 and 8 weeks (ish) … I’ve got 20 hens and 4 roos in a cage we built based on the “slightly rednecked” YouTube channel’s Chris’ design.

I also bought a used rabbit hutch and retrofitted it to be a double layer quail hutch and am using it for my “extra roo” grow out.

We are about to build a second “slightly rednecked” style but design it as condos for breeding with 1 roo per condo rather than the colony breeding in the big hutch.

My goals were to have them outside and the feces fall to the ground … I do have to empty the tray in the top floor of the red grow out but it won’t always have birds in it and I only have 4 in there now …
I also wanted auto water and feeders to keep it as simple as possible …

Hope that helps!
Lots of options with quails!
Thanks! I’ll check out the YouTube channel. I think I’ve seen it before.
I don't know why I’m so caught up with egg rollouts. I think it would be easier and keep the Jumpy McJumpersons calmer haha!

Back
Top Bottom