What does purebred mean

Also I’d like to add that in chickens, we really can’t be sure where each breed came from. There are many “purebred” chickens that are just a came from a mutation root or from different crosses. It all depends on what genes the chicken has, for instance, if you crossed a blrw with a blue laced red Cornish and then backcrossed that with another blrw, and than back crossed it again. It would probably pass as a blrw because the genes are just bout same, they all come from similar genetic roots and if the breed match the SOP and parents have a same or similar makeup it would pass.

Thank you for all of your valuable input. Coming from the dog world the word "pure" is very hard to use when not being able look at any breeding history (pedigrees)

I whole hardheartedly agree that in dogs registration means little to nothing. , especially in the popular breeds. My parents are horse people (AQHA and APHA) and I hear very similar concerns from them regarding quality and breeding controls. I bred and showed Akitas for almost 20 years (amazing breed) and I have seen many finish that weren't close to the standard. The right handler with the right judge could finish a goat as an Akita............. anyhow I wanted a German Shorthair. I was so unimpressed and surprised at the type variation in the breed. I looked at simply due to the fact there aren't proper breeding controls. I decided to look for better controls and found them in NADKC North American Duetsch Kurzhaar Club of America.

BigBlueHen my post was not to imply that anyone has impure birds, it was my lack of understanding how to answer the question if my birds are "purebred'. From my dog world I have a hard time answering this question honestly , because I have no clue (pedigree). I do understand from what others have posted how certain terms are used and there meanings.

My statement regarding pedigrees in the dog world is the "honor system". If you are unethical you can put any Sire / Dam and their registration numbers when registering a litter. There is no real control.

I still own horses (APHA & AQHA) but say that I *used* to be in the horse world. Anymore, showing is all about politics. What your name is, how much money you have, who you know, who your trainer is etc. It's not fun anymore.

I never showed my dogs (didn't have time), but I had two nice studs. One I never bred, one produced a few litters of UKC/AKC GR CH pups.

Way too many people hang papers in my breed. That's why I chose to fix my stud. People out there breeding trash to trash, hanging papers and selling pups for thousands. Made my blood pressure rise so I stepped back. Also didn't like the direction they were taking the breed.

Sorry for the mostly unrelated rant. 🤣

Overo I can completely relate and we have a similar mentality / view

I think it's hard for people to relate that have been solely in chickens and haven't experienced what through our eyes and many other's eyes the meaning of "pure".

The greatest example is the German Shepard................... so sad

Overo I can completely relate and we have a similar mentality / view

I think it's hard for people to relate that have been solely in chickens and haven't experienced what through our eyes and many other's eyes the meaning of "pure".

The greatest example is the German Shepard................... so sad
The newer generation of breeders apparently thought decent working hips were "optional". Very sad.

Wow, I learned a lot from reading this! So, thank you for posting. Also, I am not sure how this works, but Murry McMurry Hatchery offers some sort of paper when you buy chicks from them. I noticed after I got mine. Going from memory, it said something like if you plan on showing, we can provide needed paperwork? I can't find that now, so I could be mistaken. Great read!

Back
Top Bottom