What does your duck house look like?

Pics
Thanks a lot.

I guess windows and a better door will be my project for next week end :)
Post pics when finished, folks come in all the time looking for inspiration .
smile.png

I have my 2 ducks in the chicken coop w/ 5 pullets. They also have a run that is covered w/ chicken wire over the top. They have just recently started free ranging w/ the pullets (they are all 13 weeks old and raised together from their first week). and go into the coop every night and get closed in. I have a 12x20 coop and 15x25 run w/ their wading pool in it.

I have my 2 ducks in the chicken coop w/ 5 pullets. They also have a run that is covered w/ chicken wire over the top. They have just recently started free ranging w/ the pullets (they are all 13 weeks old and raised together from their first week). and go into the coop every night and get closed in. I have a 12x20 coop and 15x25 run w/ their wading pool in it.
Love to see some pics
smile.png

I've just started planning my duck enclosure so I have some questions.

The plan is to put their house up against the brick wall of my sun porch. The whole enclosure will be ~ 12' long x 3' wide x 6' high. The majority of it will be a wire enclosure with an enclosed nest house in the upper corner connected to the side and area below via a ramp.

That enclosure will be predator tight and only closed up at night.

Surrounding that is my tomato garden with a fence and gate but open to the sky. They'll get free run there until I'm sure that they are safe outside during the day. Once I feel secure that they'll come home at night I'll open up that gate to let them free roam the property (large meadow, woods and lawn full of clover.

I'm hoping to train them to a duck call (and treats).

If I want 3-4 ducks and one drake (Welsh), how big should the nest area of the secure enclosure be?
What's the optimal ramp incline for them? I'd like to have it as steep as they will use so that I can keep more ground area clear but want them to be comfortable using it.

Here are a few pics of my duck house...It is 6'x8' and we insulated it since it gets pretty cold here in the winter. DH even ran power to it so I can plug in heated buckets for them and have light :) It was originally built for 4 pekins, but the flock has since expanded, so I think it is time to think about an addition!

I have changed up the interior some....the patio stones are gone, since I have had some bumblefoot to deal with and I figured the rough surfaces weren't helping their feet to heal. We have also added foam board and rubber matting to the floor, since last winter the shavings were all frozen to the floor and it was hard to clean. It's not fancy, but it works and the ducks seem happy :)

Very nice! Please make sure to prevent risk of fire. I pay attention to all the dusty material around electrical outlets and plugs. In fact, I otta go do a little cleanup, in the duckie shelter.

Thanks Amiga! And yes, I do keep the heat light dusted off and I keep around my electrical outlets as dust-free as I can. I am very paranoid about fires in both my barn and duck house!

Our new ducklings were getting a bit too messy to stay in their cages inside the house, but they're still too young to go to the duck house in the yard, so we turned the back of our shed into a teenage duckling brooder :)

I took us a while to patch all the holes and make sure it is predator proof, but hopefully we didn't miss anything.

That should leave me a few weeks to work on the duck house that had a pretty rough winter and as we found out the hard way, needs to be better pred-proofed.

The door and wall are covered with either 1/4" or 1/2" hardware cloth.
I line the bottom of the shed with wood to make sure there was no access possible.
The outside of the shed is wrapped with 1" chicken wire (with 1/2" harware cloth where there were big cracks)
There is also a door to get into the shed that locks with a couple of latches.

The floor of the shed where the duckling are is covered with plywood and some cardboard.
We use round plastic bin lids as a base for their waterers (not in the picture) to reduce the wet mess in the shavings.

Back
Top Bottom