What does your duck house look like?

Pics
Quote:
Ooooooooooooo. Nice.

Thank you! :eek:)

Its actually not finished in that photo.. I also had to make little shack for the extra drakes and thats right on the right side of the guinea coop.
Darn those extra drakes!
he.gif

What color paint did you use? I LOVE the color!

Quote:
I love your house did you design it yourself or was it a kit?

It is a house made of wood pallets and other scraps. I 'designed' as I went along. It took me months. I am just glad the chickens have loved it from the start.

88997_inspector.jpg

Quote:
Thank you! :eek:)

Its actually not finished in that photo.. I also had to make little shack for the extra drakes and thats right on the right side of the guinea coop.
Darn those extra drakes!
he.gif

What color paint did you use? I LOVE the color!

I'll go look real quick!
smile.png

yippiechickie.gif
I want to follow this thread...because I love ducks...RIP Mr. Quackers...always curious to see new ideas!
frow.gif

I just realized...Nifty needs to add some duck smilies!!

Sadly, my ducks completely refused to live indoors and settled by the side of our pond. It has a good flow, and now that our property is fenced, we have few worries about predation. I don't get many eggs, since the crows usually find them first, but I don't have to worry much about cleaning their house. They do dabble at the edge of the pond and have increased the diameter about a foot a year for the last three years. Eventually, that could be a problem (since one side of the pond is a dyke that is holding the water at the current level), but for now, everyone is pretty happy even in the depths of winter. We did put up a shelter made of three or four bales of hay to provide a wind break, and they occasionally duck in there, but generally they just prefer the open skies and fresh air.

The chickens took over the duck house, and I use the deep bedding method for them, only having to empty out the wood shavings once or twice a year, since my chickens also prefer to be outside until there is snow on the ground.

Ducks are messy! I imagine I'd want to blast the floor with a hose if I had them inside. I wonder how people keep things clean . . .

Ducks are messy! I imagine I'd want to blast the floor with a hose if I had them inside. I wonder how people keep things clean . . .
I clean daily, basically doing a little each day prevents a massive mess, i bed with a combo of wood pellet & shavings, i have stall mats as a base flooring... plus my feed/water is set-up in a way to reduce mess too. I don't disagree they are messy but many animals are, a good solid routine truly helps from it getting out of control.
smile.png

I clean daily, basically doing a little each day prevents a massive mess, i bed with a combo of wood pellet & shavings, i have stall mats as a base flooring... plus my feed/water is set-up in a way to reduce mess too. I don't disagree they are messy but many animals are, a good solid routine truly helps from it getting out of control.
smile.png
Ditto. I call it "room service." Then occasionally there is "the big clean."

Back
Top Bottom