What Gender are these chicks

Las2062

In the Brooder
Mar 11, 2016
Arizona
Hi All, I am new to all of this and I am hoping you can help me. I have 3 five week old chicks and I am hoping they are all pullets. I live in a city where rosters are a no-no.

This is YaYa I think she is a red sex linked so I understand that she would be female but want to make sure that she is a red star. So curious and brave but sweet

2nd is Dandelion, Barred Cochin shy and everything scares her but gentle

3rd is Julius a Buff Orpington so sweet and friendly

Thank you for any help you can give!

Thank you. We are disappointed but will find him a great home in a couple of weeks when we know for sure.
If I wanted to try again for another female is it OK mix ages when they are you?

I would keep anything real young separate but within sight until they get a bit bigger, but I don't have a lot of experience mixing chick ages.

Thank you. We are disappointed but will find him a great home in a couple of weeks when we know for sure.
If I wanted to try again for another female is it OK mix ages when they are you?
I never mix my ages until my chickies are the same size as the others. I have chicks that are two weeks apart right now and if they were together I would be worried as my 4 week olds are three times the size of my 1 week olds. At six weeks they stop doubling in size and start growing slower. I plan on introducing these two groups at 8 and 10 weeks, but slowly at first.

You know for sure right now. That comb is too pink, too early for a pullet. Also, the white bars are too wide, and the black bars are too narrow for a pullet. Males have two barring genes, one from each parent, making them look 'lighter.' Pullets can only ever have a single copy of the barring gene, resulting in darker barring.

Where in Arizona are you Las? There are rural areas that will allow roos and cockerels within a short distance, and they will go quickly, believe me. I have watched it.
They make crow collars. I have heard mixed reviews, but it may be worth a try to keep him. He is so beautiful and I would try anything to keep him cause I love the chickies!!!!!

Thank you all for the help. I will only get another one if I can find one the same age. I'll post to give him away now. I'm in the city but I am willing to drive even a couple of hours to find him a good home. I really don't want him to be dinner

Hey Las,
Where are you at in AZ? I am in Overgaard and he would have a good life here. We have 10 acres and plenty of chickens. If you wait a few weeks I will have girls ready to go and you can leave your boy here. You can trade me!
big_smile.png
I will let you pick one of my girls to trade. Juet thinking this could be a win win for us. We don't eat our roos and you would have some laying stock.

Back
Top Bottom