What happened to my turkey hen? she is not ok

Happy Camper

Chirping
7 Years
Jul 19, 2012
Puerto Rico
My 2 yr old turkey hen sat steadily on either infertile or just bad eggs last month. She started laying again and I decided to collect the eggs for incubation. This time around I have seen the tom trying to mate with her on several occassions and she seems receptive although that seems sometimes to take much more time than I have available to spend staring at them. Meaning... I have seen the beginning of mating but not the end.

I have collected 9 so far and today when checking for #10 I saw her struggling to walk. Her feathers look puffed up, she seems to be out of balance and blinks a lot which for some reason I relate to pain. She tried to get away from me when I tried picking her up but then gave up. I moved her to a pen alone and after a while I saw her trying to stand but being out of balance and very slow.

I guess is some internal injury what is affecting her. Is it possible the tom hurt her? What's with the puffy feathers? :/

Last edited:
It could be or it could be something more serious.
Does the hen have a limp or is it acting drunk and having a hard time standing?

You didn't say what type of turkey she is, but I have a year old Broad Breasted Bronze being mated by my Narragansett Tom. He is very ritualistic, with a back dance and all...and the hen struggles a bit to get up when he is done, and staggers around a bit. She's not 'hurt" but she is in some pain, as the Broad Breasted Bronzes are really not set up with good conformation for athletics. She prefers to stand while the others dust bathe, and yes she ruffles her feathers.

If she has a good appetite, drinks her water, has bright eyes and doesn't sneeze or cough, then she is most likely okay. Just check for spur wounds under her wings if your tom has spurs.

Back
Top Bottom