what happened

redrooster99

Songster
9 Years
Jun 14, 2013
georgia
ok so i had some chicks hatch from a red sex link rooster over a cream brabanter, a easter egger, and a birchen colored mutt, and they are sex - links, one roo, 3 hens. hens are red, rooster white with some yellow, and black spots ( not many spots ). the easter egger mix came from a green egg. last brabanter-mix chicks were white ( roo ) and a black/silver one ( hen ). so could they be sex- links the.

Last edited:
my question is are they sex - link and how could they be if they were a mix with all those breeds, the only one that might not be a sex - link is the EE mix. will get pics.

know that i think about it i have a red cochin bantam/silver lakenvelder mix with feathered feet, i think that the little gold one with feathered feet and the white one with feathered feet could be sex link from her and my red sex-link roo. that is the real question. sorry for the confusion.
big_smile.png

well thats okay but how did i get a red baby from my brabanter.
From the red sex link father, I'm guessing.

Agree, none of the mixes you've describes would make a sex link. Any coincidence between color and gender with this hatch is just that, coincidence.

ok so i had some chicks hatch from a red sex link rooster over a cream brabanter, a easter egger, and a birchen colored mutt, and they are sex - links, one roo, 3 hens. hens are red, rooster white with some yellow, and black spots ( not many spots ). the easter egger mix came from a green egg. last brabanter-mix chicks were white ( roo ) and a black/silver one ( hen ). so could they be sex- links the.

this is such a simple answer...

your Sexlink Genome is

eWh/eWh = Wheaten
S/s+ = Golden, one copy of Dominant Silver and one copy of recessive sexlinded gold
Co/Co = columbian Restricted
Mh/Mh = Mahogany
I/i+ = Dominant White, heterozygous form, from white silver parent

Cream Brabanter genome is

ER/ER = Birche
Pg/Pg = Pattern gene
Ml/Ml = Melanotic
Db/Db = Dark Brown
ig/ig = cream

birchen Mut,

ER/eb = most likely

I will try to explain this as best I can, so if you dont get it, ask me and I try even more..

sexlink roo mated to Barbanter could give you two types of chicks..

white chicks with black spots(can be of any sex)
ER/eWh = Birchen from Barbanter and wheaten from Sexlink roo, ER is dominant so chick is all white with black spots
Pg/pg+ = pattern gene hiden by dominant white
Ml/ml+ = Ml from Barbanter but wont show because of dominant white
I/i+ = Dominant white, heterozygous form, one copy from sexlinked roo

so this chick/s regardless of sex will hatch solid white with black spots, will develop into White birds with orange/Red shoulders at adults, showing some red/orange on hackle and saddle like Birchen based on dominant white

but our of this cross you can also get i+/i+ chicks which lack dominant white, meaning they will hatch all black with cream underbelly..

as to why you got some Red chicks? well remember that Birchen Mutt? well she may carry eb or eWh, when crossed to the eWh/eWh Mh/Mh and s+ you will get gold colored chicks, regardless of sex..

Back
Top Bottom