What has black feet, feathered legs, but only 4 toes?

Kind of baffling since the entire bird is black with 4 toes and light feathering. Could someone have put a standard in the bantam bin?

That's definitely possible! I'm fairly sure she's a bantam though, as she is the second tiniest chick i have after the old English game bantam. About half the size of the silkies, and just over a third of the size of the Rhode island reds.
I was going after silkies when I chose her, thus the dark beak/legs and feathered feet. I just didn't pay enough attention to the toes! Do'h! Oh well, I guess I just have to go back for more, eh? ;)
This is my first flock so I'm not very experienced at picking chicks yet, but either way she's adorable! I'm so excited to see what she turns out to be!

I know when I went to get my chicks there were chicks of various ages and she could be smaller simply because she is younger.
Yes you need to go back and try again.
wink.png

For size comparison:

I actually think Batman might be OLDER than the RIR (Peppercorn, pictured here) based purely on feather development. She's the first one to start putting out tail feathers of the whole group, and her wings are almost totally feathered now with primaries.

Here is my chick. It looks a little lighter because of the flash. I think that's why it looks a little yellow in the first picture when it really doesn't have any yellow on it.

@Mattsculpt I may have an answer! I talked to someone at TSC who seemed to know her stuff, and she said they're supposed to be a Japanese breed, but didn't have an exact breed name either. She did say they're definitely NOT cochins.

Back
Top Bottom