What have you done for your chickens today?

Moabite

Songster
9 Years
Feb 24, 2010
Utah
I didn't see this thread anywhere, so I took a liberty.

I strung rope lights, and timer 'cause my egg production has dropped to an egg every other day. Added some fresh sawdust and DE. Decided to rub a little "Bag Balm" into their combs and wattles. They really enjoyed that! It made their combs nice and red again instead of pink. One of my girls has poor circulation in her comb. it is kinda thin, cold and dry and hangs flat. Anybody know anything about that?

I let them free range for the first time since we got a foot of snow a week ago. They went all of 18 inches from the coop on three sides as that was the only area that didn't have snow, but they stayed out all afternoon. Oh I feel so sorry for them, no worms or bugs, no good grass. Oh well, I guess they enjoyed scratching around in the frozen leaves. I also gave them a bell made out of birdseed but they haven't caught onto it yet. I never thought of tending to their combs, sigh.
hmm.png

Chickens are such chickens
lol.png
, but they'll figure it out. A foot of snow already?

We might get some tomorrow and we had a thunder shower come through this evening. The girls are all up in the roost acting like they are hosting Christmas party.

The unveiling
49658_picture_1144.jpg

That was Jackie Brown our Starlink peeking out the window, she is our biggest bird, and the hardest to catch
49658_picture_1145.jpg
49658_picture_1141.jpg

I think it works pretty good for such a cheep coop.
Yeah, I know about the chicken wire, it has worked so far because of the dogs, but I got some welded hardware cloth to put on tomorrow. I don't want anyone to say "I told you so".

Last edited:
Gave all 7 of the girls a bubble bath and a warm spray rinse inside the house in one of the bath tubs (not all at once, lol). Then gave them a nice blow-out. Then gave them cooked steelcut oatmeal with warm milk. Then took them to bed.

(Then I cleaned the bathroom:p)

Found little red bugs on one of the girls.

This will NOT be a frequent occurence.

Mostly the normal routine, added shavings to the coop,cleaned the run, Let them roam the yard for several hours,gave them some BOSS and bread for treat time. And thanks Moab...you reminded me I forgot the DE. I'll add that tomorrow night when I get home from work.

Larry

Glad I could help Dirtsaver
wink.png

I forgot to mention that I let the girls out to the new compost pile. I just finished raking last week and the pile is nearly 1/3 dirt already. I let them help me spread the pile over the garden and paid them in worms. Who would have thought that having chickens would be so rewarding?

Quote:
When I die I want to come back as one of YOUR chickens..LOL!
lol.png
One of my Polish hens got picked on the other day and I brought her inside and washed her top knot so I could make sure she's healing ok. Added some tobasco to those feathers
wink.png
and then wrapped her in a towel and flannel blanket and snuggled her on the couch til she was dry. She seemed to enjoy that, fell asleep and just totally relaxed. Never thought of the Bag Balm thing, I'll have to try that. Mine do love having their combs and wattles rubbed.

After I took care of Ms Poland, I cleaned out the coop, re-bedded the egg boxes and then just sat in there with the chickens and petted and cuddled for a little while. I love doing that, it's beyond peaceful to have a lapful of chickens.

Back
Top Bottom