What heat source is the safest for my chicks?

Megwylie25

In the Brooder
Feb 16, 2024
Right now I have been using the old heat lamp everyone frowns upon. I heard stories of things getting burn down from these and I just want to know what other heat source can I use for my chick babies. They are in a metal water trough with thick shavings. They are about 2 weeks old today. I will be having more chicks in the future so just trying to hunt down the safest heat source to use before something terrible happens to me. What do you recommend. Post picture of what you use below.

I use a heat plate.
1708469780997.png

I used a reptile ceramic bulb, no chance of the bulb breaking.
I have ceramic bulbs as well - and have used them for heating larger areas. But while Ih've had a shop lamp holder with a ceramic bulb slip loose from its attachments*, I've neven had the legs of my heat plate suddenly disconnect.

(*once, only once - and it was secured by chain as well, so not a catastrophe - the birds literally flew into it when something spooked them)

I use a heating pad, often referred on here as a mama heating pad (MHP): https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...d-in-the-brooder-picture-heavy-update.956958/ - the main advantage this has over commercial heat plates is they work down to below freezing temps, though I've only tested it down in the 40s(F) myself.

MHPs are very popular - essentially, heat plates before there were heat plates. Just be sure to get a heating pad that stays on - a number of my recent purchases turn off after a brief period, and that function can't be disabled. They are a bit more vulnerable to damage, consequence of being flexible, and harder to clean - consequence of being cloth covered. A good MHP design - like the one linked above - addresses both those issues.

Last edited:
MHPs are very popular - essentially, heat plates before there were heat plates. Just be sure to get a heating pad that stays on - a number of my recent purchases turn off after a brief period, and that function can't be disabled. They are a bit more vulnerable to damage, consequence of being flexible, and harder to clean - consequence of being cloth covered. A good MHP design - the the one linked - addresses both those issues.
Good points. Always test a heating pad for a few days before use, and do not use a pad that appears damaged or is heating unevenly or that has cord damage. Heating pads should never be folded for storage, I roll mine up.

Carefully applied Glad Press N Seal takes care of the cleaning issue, I simply unwrap the cloth covered pad upon disassembly.

I used a reptile ceramic bulb, no chance of the bulb breaking.
Could I just change my bulb to the ceramic bulb? And I have it right now sitting on top of the trough pointed down on top of some chicken wire. My husband made a top to the trough with wood/chicken wire has a piece of wood sticking up so that way the light claps on it and pointing down onto chicken wire

Back
Top Bottom