What in the world could be causing these foot injuries? (Scales scraped off?)

Watch to see if she's picking at her feet or if another bird is picking at them during roosting.
If she's picking at her own feet, then give her a direct dose of Poultry Cell (1cc per 3lbs of weight) 3 times a week for a few weeks to see if that makes a difference.
I did remember about this stick pile that they’ve been hanging around recently. Maybe the injury could be caused from getting caught in it.

I’ll keep a close eye on their behavior and look for any picking.

Attachments

• IMG_2129.jpeg
    IMG_2129.jpeg
    910 KB · Views: 14
I don’t know what to do. There’s more foot injuries on my girls. Agnes is the last one who go the injuries that I initially posted about, and now Jolene has one on both of her feet, too. The first time I saw something like this was months ago, and Jolene was the one who got the foot injury that healed up, and now she has two larger injuries today.

i know Jolene’s new injuries weren’t there yesterday, and if they were here this morning when I put them in the run and then left for school, I didn’t notice them.

I’m thinking maybe I’ll keep them cooped up and even separated tomorrow. I’m showing them in January, and as much as I don’t like for them to be cooped up, I would hate for any of the girls to get more injuries like this, especially whenever I don’t know what’s causing it.

Here Jolene’s feet after I gave her an Epsom salt bath. She’s the one who got these injuries today. IMG_2160.jpeg IMG_2161.jpeg

Here’s agnes’ feet today. She’s the one who got the injuries a week ago

IMG_2163.jpeg

(By the way, I only have two other girls, and they have not had any injuries so far.)

Last edited:
I haven’t seen any of them picking their own or each others feet, but I haven’t had time to close them up in the run and watch them for an extended period.

These injuries seem to be happening in the run, because they never appear in the morning, when I let them out of the coop, but they I’ve noticed them in the afternoon, when I let them out of the run.

I’m really having trouble figuring out the cause, because I’ve had this setup for nearly a year and there had not been much that changed before the foot injuries started to appear. The stick pile has always been there, and so has everything else.

Here are some pictures of the run. The only thing interesting is that there are quite a few wild bird feathers in one area of the run that I haven’t noticed before. Maybe a bird flew in and startled them, or got caught in the bird netting that covers the top of the run.

Attachments

• IMG_2157.jpeg
    IMG_2157.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_2156.jpeg
    IMG_2156.jpeg
    703.2 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_2154.jpeg
    IMG_2154.jpeg
    894.6 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_2155.jpeg
    IMG_2155.jpeg
    807.3 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_2153.jpeg
    IMG_2153.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_2158.jpeg
    IMG_2158.jpeg
    887.5 KB · Views: 11
I think it could be related to/caused by the metal identification bands you use for their legs.

In case of using metal bands they should sit much tighter and higher up the leg so as to not be able to cut into the feet with their sharp edges.

I think it could be related to/caused by the metal identification bands you use for their legs.

In case of using metal bands they should sit much tighter and higher up the leg so as to not be able to cut into the feet with their sharp edges.
Do you think the band could cause an injury on the other leg as well? I kind of ruled it out because they’ve had their bands on ever since February and I couldn’t think of how they’d injure their other foot with the band as well.
The injuries do look kind of like they could be caused by the band. I have plenty of extras. Maybe I’ll reapply all their bands (tighter fitting) today.

Do you think the band could cause an injury on the other leg as well? I kind of ruled it out because they’ve had their bands on ever since February and I couldn’t think of how they’d injure their other foot with the band as well.
The injuries do look kind of like they could be caused by the band. I have plenty of extras. Maybe I’ll reapply all their bands (tighter fitting) today.
Maybe use some made of soft sythetics or plastic for in-between until the wounds are healed.

I can just cut off the leg bands from the injured birds and wait until I’ve figured out what’s causing the injury to add their new bands. I printed out extra bands for each of the girls in case I ever had to remove a band anyways.
Will you still be able to identify each bird correctly? You could also use a colour code for in between with coloured zip ties.

Back
Top Bottom