What in the world? pic

ging3rhoffman

Songster
10 Years
Feb 23, 2009
I found this under the roost today. It looks like a large green grape...very very soft. I have an EE that layed any egg for about a month and then stopped laying eggs for the last 3 weeks, so i thought it might be from her since it is light olive green in color. She always layed her eggs in the nest though and this on was found under the roost I held it up to the light and i dont see a yolk. It is very soft but dents in easily when you touch it.

Anyone have any idea?

23509_dsc03426.jpg

Its an egg..... Just give them some oyster shells to help the shell of the eggs get harder......... other than that I dont know why chickens lay eggs with shells like that.

I give them oyster shell as scratch each day and i also have it mixed in with their purina layena. They are very well cared for. Spoiled, you might say. Treats and out for a couple of hours each evening to free range.

They all started laying at 17 and 18 weeks old and one stopped laying after a month. That egg i showed you is the same color that she use to lay. I wonder if it might be from her and if she might start laying again.

I have an EE that is a very erratic layer. Everyday for weeks, then nothing for weeks, then every other day... see where this is going? Might just be the way she is.
Her stopping laying might be due to summer heat or maybe she's molting.

Imp

Those soft eggs are so weird. Some of my girls went through a spell laying them. I increased feed and put out oyster shell, but in the end, i think adding apple cider vinegar (ACV) helped a lot. When they did lay the soft eggs ... or sometimes shelless eggs, there would be a few on the coup floor, like they couldn't get to the nest in time or they dropped out at night.

Im so glad everyone gets back to you so quickly on the forum. I just love BYC.

My EE might just be like your EE and stay erratic. Kiinda weird huh.

About the ACV. Someone said to use only the "mothers" brand. I have never been able to find it and thought that my regular ACV wouldnt do them any good. Should i go ahead and start using the regular ACV in their water?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom