what is dosage in WATER for ....it is the ivomec Eprinex Pour-on for B

newbiechickenowner

Songster
10 Years
Oct 28, 2009
Georgia, VT
Sorry to double post, but, the earlier post I said it was NOT pour on, but it is....see my response...any help is so appreciated:

....it is the ivomec Eprinex Pour-on for Beef and Dairy Cattle containing 5 mg eprinomectin/ml. I know that people have posted to pour it on to the chicken, BUT, I also know that I was instructed last year how to use it in their water.

Quote:
The pour on does NOT go in their water..Theres a few different kinds of ivermectin-you bought the one that goes on the chickens skin in droplette form. I have never used the kind you put in water for fear some will get too much or not enough. I choose a time in the day-first thing in am before letting them out. One by one I apply it on the birds and then release them out to play..That way I know for a fact they got exactly the right dosage all at once:)

Last edited:
crap! now what do I do? I just did Wazine 2 weeks ago and wanted to followup with an EASY way to do 38 chickens...I thought that the Eprinex was just a water dose. What do I do with the Eprinex then? pour some on each back? Egg hold? ugggg.....

The Eprinex.. pour on... (do not add to the water).

You can double check my info.. I think it is also 1/2 CC / ML per standard chicken, between the wings, upper back, just below the neck... and 1/4 CC/ ML per BANTAM or small chicken...

It does not treat or kill tapeworms.. neither does Wazine.. there is egg withdrawal with Wazine.... a rather lengthy one... but, there is NO egg withdrawal with the Eprinex. You will have to catch and hold and give each chicken a dose on the back of the pour on.. but, you will be glad you did.. then you know that each one got treated (I have a neighbor help me and he catches each one, we dose, then let them go -- outside (free range).. taking one at a time from the coop, it's pretty quick and effective.. )

The pour on Eprinex is quite thin, watery.. so, be careful... and using a "baby medicine" dropper probably works best.. be sure to separate the feathers and get it on the skin.

Please.. use the Search here on BYC... search for Worming or Mite control with Eprinex -- also search Worming with Wazine (I choose not to use that, My Opinion, too much withdrawal for limited worming).

Good luck.

1 drop for a small "micro" bantam, say the size of an OE hen
2 drops for an average small bantam - OE male, small bantam hens
3 drops for an average bantam sized bird or small hen
4 drops for a commercial sized hen or small large fowl hen
5 drops for a commercial sized roo or average large fowl hen
6 drops for larger bodied laying type birds
7 drops for giant breeds

Last edited:
Quote:
My understanding, and the dose I have used, for Ivomec Eprinex is 0.25cc for bantams and 0.5cc for large fowl. Like most any dose it is weight based, so if you had an unusually large or small bird you could vary it accordingly. I believe the above is for a different form of ivermectin though I'm not sure.

I did it with a helper at night. Simply lifted them off the roost, one by one, and squirted with a syringe (without a needle.) The syringe made it easy enough to get the medicine down to the level of the skin, under the feathers.

Quote:
My understanding, and the dose I have used, for Ivomec Eprinex is 0.25cc for bantams and 0.5cc for large fowl. Like most any dose it is weight based, so if you had an unusually large or small bird you could vary it accordingly. I believe the above is for a different form of ivermectin though I'm not sure.

I did it with a helper at night. Simply lifted them off the roost, one by one, and squirted with a syringe (without a needle.) The syringe made it easy enough to get the medicine down to the level of the skin, under the feathers.

You're right, it is for Ivermectin 5 mg, I was thinking the two were similar.

thank you all very much as I will save this thread for the future as well. Wish me luck working tomorrow
smile.png
Everyone is saying that they do not egg hold...why is that? Just curious. Thanks again for taking the time.

Quote:
The proper way to administer eprinex is to put it on bare skin on the back of the neck and let it soak through the skin into the bloodstream. As mentioned, dosage is 1/2cc for standard size, 1/4cc for smaller birds. There is no slaughter withdrawal nor milk withdrawal in cattle as stated on the bottle by the manufacturer (Merial.) Therefore there isnt any egg withdrawal.

Back
Top Bottom