What is everyone's opinions on this duck feed recipe?

HeritageGoose13

Songster
Apr 24, 2015
So the other day I made a thread for sharing home-mixed/homemade poultry feed recipes. I put up a few recipes for chicken feed but have not had much luck finding feed for other birds.

What does everyone think of this recipe? I found it on a blog. It's the only duck feed recipe I found online.

Quote: The person says protein level is at 17%.

I don't know if the person fed her/his ducks this for an extended period of time. So I am looking for opinions. What is your first impression of this feed mix? It seems overly simple compared to other feed recipes I have seen. Do you think it could be missing something?

The blog where I found this recipe is: http://www.beksbackyard.com/2013/04/how-to-make-your-own-homemade-duck-feed.html#.VaZLwPkfCUk

Does anyone feed their ducks a feed they made/mixed themselves? What would be the main difference between a chicken feed and a duck feed? Niacin?

I am in the process (interrupted frequently) of developing a recipe for feed from local feedstocks.

Countryside Organics is a feed that I would like to emulate.

Crude protein, minimum..............................................17.00%
Crude fat, minimum.......................................................2.00%
Crude fiber, maximum...................................................8.00%
INGREDIENTS: Organic Field Peas, Organic Oats, Organic Wheat, Organic Barley, Calcium Carbonate, Fish Meal, Organic Alfalfa Meal, Organic Flaxseed, Sodium Silico Aluminate, Dried Organic Kelp, Dicalcium Phosphate, Salt, DL Methionine, Yeast Culture, Roughage Product (organic wheat middlings), Organic Flaxseed Oil, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Choline Chloride, Menadione Nicotinamide Bisulfite Complex, D-Calcium Pantothenic Acid, Niacin Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Hydrochloride, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Biotin, Folic Acid, Manganese Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Calcium Iodate, Zinc Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Sodium Selenite, Dried Aspergillus oryzae Fermentation Extract, Saccharomyces cerevisiae, Dried fermentation product of Lactobacillus acidophilus, Dried fermentation product of Lactobacillus casei, Dried fermentation product of Lactobacillus plantarum, Dried fermentation product of Enterococcus faecium, Dried fermentation product of Bacillus coagulans, Dried fermentation product of Bacillus licheniformis, and Dried fermentation product of Bacillus subtilis.

There are vitamin and mineral supplement products one can purchase to be sure that feed contains the optimum levels of certain goodies.

I am in the process (interrupted frequently) of developing a recipe for feed from local feedstocks.
Cool, let me know how it goes.

People are always asking how to mix their own poultry food. Myself I find it a fascinating topic, but I don't like to recommend a recipe unless I know it is complete. I think this diet would be fine in the summer if the birds are free-ranging, but what about if they are cooped up in the winter? I don't know what kinds of nutrients it might be missing.

Thanks for that ingredients list. There are a lot of ingredients I don't recognise- probably vitamin supplements?

Back
Top Bottom