What is going on with this girl? Successfully treated slip tendon! But she stll hasn't eaten, 48 hours old and TINY

ChickyMudder

Songster
Feb 28, 2023
Oregon
1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
Backyard flock. Took my favorite personality with the best layers. Im rethinking this strategy as my first hatch has been a learning process. She could be BO and RIR or BO and BO, possibly related. She was born the same size as everyone but is only 1/3 size of her sublings and has short legs, tiny feet, tiny wings. Im thinking dwarfism? Anyone know if dwarf chicks can survive?
2) What is the behavior, exactly.

Had slipped tendon at birth and walked on haunches, could get to and from heat but has zero interest in food or water. Did all the treatments (electrolytes, vitamins, gogrow, casts, PT, tendon stretching and placement, chick chair and Bam💥 she walked upright.

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
48 hours - since birth.

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? One egg did not hatch. We opened it and found soft beak, soft legs bent wrong. Everyone else is eating and growing and walking great.

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. Soft bones caused slipped tendon, tape caused her back toe to lay to close to her foot. She kept falling backwards. Made a foot brace. Fixed to toe in a few hours. They she walked and leaned to the side. She stayed near walls for support. This began to look like splay leg. She wore the shackles for 12 hours. Now walks fine but sleeps standing up?
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
Possible hen was related to Roo, or they had poor nutrition (organic feed from local source), or incubator too hot 99-101?

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. Not eating on her own. Im giving drops of vitamins, refused go grow, likes yolk with honey but wont eat on her own.
8) How does the poop look? Looks like the day she harched. Like water then turns white ish.
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? Mentioned above.

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? Wont be getting a vet. Im an ICU nurse and will treat at home. Im
Determined to save Little Linda.

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help. Pics and videos.

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use: used a grip mat in incubator and papertowels in brooder.

Attachments

• E9B9074C-3A19-4BD0-8A58-CCF71ECAF50E.jpeg
    E9B9074C-3A19-4BD0-8A58-CCF71ECAF50E.jpeg
    405.8 KB · Views: 261
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    495.8 KB · Views: 13
I'd work on getting her hydrated, then offer wet soupy chick starter.
Get some poultry vitamins into her, look for something that has B2 in it.

Leg issues can be from incubation errors, parent stock nutrition and sometimes genetics. I'd research the nutrition aspect first if you question what you feed. Look up rickets in chicks and causes of soft bones in chicks.

Today Linda had pasty butt and splaying her leg out again.
Cleaned her vent and put Vaseline on it. Tried to get her to drink by dipping the tip of her beak in. She ignored the water. I gave her 1/2 a ml of water - drop by drop - placing it next to her beak. The she got 1/2 ml egg yolk. Im concerned because she seemed distended and couldn't walk as well as before. She turtled!

Attachments

• 24DFBE97-E2EB-4993-B834-5AE4A360310C.jpeg
    24DFBE97-E2EB-4993-B834-5AE4A360310C.jpeg
    431 KB · Views: 14
It's been what - 3 days since hatch?
I'd take her out of the incubator and put her in a brooder. Shelf liner for footing.
She only needs one warm spot - a heat lamp, heat plate and the rest be cool.
See that she's staying hydrated.

Some chicks with leg issues may fail to thrive. Being distended does not sound very promising.

What vitamins did you give her? For leg problems always give a hefty dose of B vitamins. I am a huge fan of Poultry Cell vitamins for chicks and ducklings especially those that need extra assistance. When she hatched did she have unabsorbed yolk at all at her navel?

I was giving her chick boost in her water and the fluid from her mash. I mistakenly thought chick boost had thiamine. It does not! I feel terrible. I followed a link to chicklandia you tuber and made the slurry below.

Today we started a mix of egg yolk, honey, rescue remedy, liquid infant vitamins without iron or calcium (hard to find), and nutritional yeast flakes.

IMO I dont feel she is ready for the brooder . She is trying to develop splay leg and needs her braces. She is tiny, lacks coordination, and will get pecked and knocked around. Ive turned her incubator into a brooder hosptial. Is there any reason this could be harmful to her?

Ill give her a few feedings of the chicklandia slurry with vitamins and rescue remedy. Some for her and some for me! Three days of this and Im emotionally exhausted.

What vitamins did you give her? For leg problems always give a hefty dose of B vitamins. I am a huge fan of Poultry Cell vitamins for chicks and ducklings especially those that need extra assistance. When she hatched did she have unabsorbed yolk at all at her navel?
She did have a small amount of yolk left in the shell and white stuff that dried on oh bottom.

She did have a small amount of yolk left in the shell and white stuff that dried on oh bottom.
Hatching with unabsorbed yolk will delay when they are hungry. When they hatch like that I do not not start counting after hatch, but after their yolk has fully absorbed for how long they have been without food.

Hatching with unabsorbed yolk will delay when they are hungry. When they hatch like that I do not not start counting after hatch, but after their yolk has fully absorbed for how long they have been without food.
Good to know. I also read that thiamine deficiencies make them forget how to eat and also forget how to walk. All the things this little one is teaching me …

Good to know. I also read that thiamine deficiencies make them forget how to eat and also forget how to walk. All the things this little one is teaching me …
From everything that I have experienced hatching, unabsorbed yolks at hatch seem to always have a form of a vitamin deficiency. I am not sure if it’s because they do not absorb the yolk properly or they had the deficiency prior to hatching which caused them not to hatch without absorbing the yolk. Either way those ones I make sure to dose with Poultry cell. I have seen hatchlings go from flopping to showing significant improvement hours
after a dose of it.

Back
Top Bottom