What is going on with this girl? Successfully treated slip tendon! But she stll hasn't eaten, 48 hours old and TINY

From everything that I have experienced hatching, unabsorbed yolks at hatch seem to always have a form of a vitamin deficiency. I am not sure if it’s because they do not absorb the yolk properly or they had the deficiency prior to hatching which caused them not to hatch without absorbing the yolk. Either way those ones I make sure to dose with Poultry cell. I have seen hatchlings go from flopping to showing significant improvement hours
after a dose of it.
i bought the poly vi sol that another poster suggested. Sorry to keep asking, but do you think i should go get the rooster booster poultry cell instead of the poly vi
Sol?
I spent $50 on this little girl. Im not cut out for this hatching thing. I cant let this go … i figure if she is trying, ill keep trying.

Look how small she is compared to the other runt of the flock.

Attachments

• 40BA551D-B46A-4CC3-AA8A-45632C2AF125.jpeg
    40BA551D-B46A-4CC3-AA8A-45632C2AF125.jpeg
    514.5 KB · Views: 6
Depending on what you call Chick Boost - most do contain B1(Thiamine), I don't know if I've seen many that omit it. There's a few that do omit B2(Riboflavin) which is needed for Leg Health.

Looks like she standing now and walking?
If so, then I'd move the chicks to the brooder. Line your brooder with puppy pads and provide them with the warm one spot they need via heat lamp or brooder plate.
The faster you can get them up, moving about eating/drinking the better.
While chicks are fragile - yes, absolutely - they are built to get going and moving.

Depending on what you call Chick Boost - most do contain B1(Thiamine), I don't know if I've seen many that omit it. There's a few that do omit B2(Riboflavin) which is needed for Leg Health.

Looks like she standing now and walking?
If so, then I'd move the chicks to the brooder. Line your brooder with puppy pads and provide them with the warm one spot they need via heat lamp or brooder plate.
The faster you can get them up, moving about eating/drinking the better.
While chicks are fragile - yes, absolutely - they are built to get going and moving.
Brooder is lined with paper, warmed, and ready for my girl.

She is walking better but not eating yet.

What kind of paper? Paper towels, puppy pads? Just so it's not too slick.

The not eating is concerning, but she may become more excited about it once she's in a brooder.
IF she's a teeny tiny baby, grind some of the crumbles up in a food processor or similar to where it's a fairly fine powder. Sometimes crumbles are just too large for them to handle.

Often a slow chick will be encouraged to eat/drink just by watching other chicks, they want to join in if possible, so if the other one will eat/drink and scamper about, she'll watch and may mimic the other. You'll just have to monitor that she's not being bowled over or trampled, especially if you have several in the brooder.
Keep on those vitamins. I know if you read threads, you see vitamins suggested all the time, I wish I had 1¢ for every time I typed that word, I'd have a tidy sum by now, but vitamins can make a huge difference. The B vitamins are very important, especially B1(Thiamine) and B2(Riboflavin) plus all the other B's too, but get them into her daily. It won't hurt for the other chick(s) to have them as well. B vitamins are water soluble, so any excess is excreted out in the urine.

Thanks for all your help! Im confused about vitamin E and selinium - do i also need to add a source of those in addition to the rooster booster?

Thank you for your tremendous help. It brings tears to my eyes that youve been so kind and helpful.

Thanks for all your help! Im confused about vitamin E and selinium - do i also need to add a source of those in addition to the rooster booster?

Thank you for your tremendous help. It brings tears to my eyes that youve been so kind and helpful.
Extra Vitamin E is normally given to chick(en)s that have Torticollis (Wry Neck, Stargazing, etc). Selenium helps with the uptake of E and usually a bit of egg or tuna has sufficient Selenium for that.

I'm trying to find exactly what you are giving as far as vitamins go - but something like your Chick Boost, the Poly Vi Sol, Rooster Booster, etc. will usually have some E and Selenium in some form (as does your normal chicken feed).

So! Unless your little one is twisting her neck or walking backwards, I would not add additional E or Selenium to the mix. Look at your vitamin labels, she's probably already getting them.

Extra Vitamin E is normally given to chick(en)s that have Torticollis (Wry Neck, Stargazing, etc). Selenium helps with the uptake of E and usually a bit of egg or tuna has sufficient Selenium for that.

I'm trying to find exactly what you are giving as far as vitamins go - but something like your Chick Boost, the Poly Vi Sol, Rooster Booster, etc. will usually have some E and Selenium in some form (as does your normal chicken feed).

So! Unless your little one is twisting her neck or walking backwards, I would not add additional E or Selenium to the mix. Look at your vitamin labels, she's probably already getting them.
She was falling backwards, not eating, and her neck seemed bent down in like an S shape. Not looking up or to the side. She just never straightened it out. Not sure if that is wry neck. Could it all be from wry neck? IDK chicks with slipped tendon normally eat - right?
We took your advice and hydrayed her and put her in a brooder with a small ish kind hen.

We are giving her 1 ml every hour or two of this mix (5 drops poly vi sol / a dab of honey/ 4 oz weak green tea/1 drop of rescue remedy) I alternate that with 1 ml of unmedicated organic chick starter mashed up in an egg with the vitamin water to thin it. She only weighs 30grams. Her sibling weights 60 grams. We have reached the point of no return here. Linda has to start eating on her own. Bumpy (her sibling) is a great mentor and mess maker.

Anything else we can do to help her learn to eat?

It's good that she's eating on her own now.
I'd continue with the vitamins and see how she does.

Do you have updated photos of how she stands now?

Some chicks do eat o.k. when they have leg issues, I've had some that did not and they failed to thrive. Slipped tendon is usually very hard to correct, so you did well if the joint is staying together.

It's good that she's eating on her own now.
I'd continue with the vitamins and see how she does.

Do you have updated photos of how she stands now?

Some chicks do eat o.k. when they have leg issues, I've had some that did not and they failed to thrive. Slipped tendon is usually very hard to correct, so you did well if the joint is staying together.
She has not started eating on her own. Its almost like she didnt develop the drive to peck?

Slipped tendon has stayed resolved. She can walk and it stayed in. She tried to go splay leg but we caught it early and she walks with nice straight legs. Although its like she forgot how to lay down now??? She seems to have other neuro issues .

Its not looking good. She is still 30 grams and wasting away. She spends most her calories peeping loudly. Might he time to end this girls struggle. What do you think?

Attachments

• 0F9181E1-E8AA-4C2A-A007-B62D44BC5E6F.jpeg
    0F9181E1-E8AA-4C2A-A007-B62D44BC5E6F.jpeg
    499.4 KB · Views: 7
Poor little thing:(

Spending most of the time peeping loudly, not being able to sit/hunker down for rest, not eating...
It's up to you of course and a hard call to make, but ime, chicks like this don't make it.
I'm very sorry, it's heartbreaking and you definitely become attached.

Back
Top Bottom