What is "grower grit"?

Firefly

Songster
12 Years
Mar 26, 2007
Connecticut
I've seen this at my feed store and just wondering at what ages you give it. Thanks!
cool.png

Starters are usually of the start & grow variety...switching to layer pellets at about the time of the first egg.

Grower Grit has me confused..is it grit or feed? If it is grit, it makes me think it is something to be offered in addition to feed.

hmm.
hu.gif

Yes AccidentalFarm, it is definitely GRIT, not feed. It looks like little pebbles... like the kind you'd put in the bottom of an aquarium. I'm not too worried about it as my 6 week old chicks free range on our property (and also get chick starter), but I got a bag of the stuff for free and figured I might as well use it! I just don't want to put it out for them if it's meant for older birds.

Last edited:
They are probably getting enough grit due to the free ranging. You could offer it free choice, but I think i'd wait a few more weeks if the grit is a larger size.

How much grit can you give them? Mine are almost 4 weeks now. Have been giving them a little grass and a little grit every day. They're on a steady diet of chick food.

Back
Top Bottom