What is one thing you figured out about chickens that you wish you knew when you began?

I didnt know how BIG chickens get. I had never had chickens before or been around them and you look at them in catalogs and on the internet but not until mine grew into full size hens was I thankful I built a much bigger coop then I needed. We went from aw they look so little in the this big coop to OMG we need more roost bars.
Funny... I never thought about that either! Actually I'd never held a chicken in my life until I got them. When I was a kid I visited a cousin with chickens, twice, but I was only allowed to throw some scratch at them and that's about it.

THIS I have figured out over the last two years is ADDICTIVE!
DSC_0459.JPG

That they literally sh!t everywhere! And anywhere and your dogs will find it gourmet 🤢 And that they can and will destroy your garden/plants/flowers in nothing flat and use it as their dirt bath. Even though you made up their own really cool personal dirt bath…😐 lol
Oh my God… so I’m not the only person with a dog that laps up chicken poop? Lol. For months, I never let me dog (a pit bull named Sage) in the back yard because I wasn’t sure she could be trusted with my favorite girls. Lately, she’s been dashing out the back door without my consent. I now see her desire is not to play chase with my chickens, but to search the ground for poop!

Here would be my go-to list. I keep all of these on hand.

The list is from most important to least important.

1.) Liquid Corid (This is for the treatment of coccidiosis)
2.) Vetericyn, neosporin with NO pain killer, and or honey (Vetericyn and ORIGINAL neosporin are both for wound care. Vetericyn is more of an antibacterial spray. ORIGINAL neosporin is more of an antibacterial cream. Honey is optional here, it helps wound recover, but is not as great on large wounds, only for small scrapes, its also bad because it attracts flies).
3.) Valbezen, Safeguard, etc. (Safeguard and Valbezen are both chicken dewormers. They may say "for goats, sheep, cattle," but they are used for chickens off label).
4.) Vaseline/petroleum jelly (Treatment for scaly leg mites)
5.) Tweezers (for picking off maggots from a bird with flystrike).
6.) Monistat 7 (This is an anti fungal treatment for sour crop).
7.) Coconut oil (For cooking for chickens and for impacted crop).
8.) Dog crate and dog pads (This is for separating sick birds).
9.) Extra syringes (To give medications orally with).
10.) Rooster booster, save-a-chick electrolytes, etc. (Immune booster/supplement).
11.) Towels, blow dryer, scissors, etc. (For washing birds).
Can you get Vetericyn, neosporin with NO pain killer over the counter or do you need RX for them? I don't bring my chickens to the vet, am a chicken mama for one year now and gave them VetRx and safeguard (for cattle - just as drops on the back of their necks) when needed. They are doing ok, except two I separated from the bullies still want to get back to the rest of the flock although they will get butchered. They don't eat well but one of the two is now pooping dark watery poop.

Here would be my go-to list. I keep all of these on hand.

The list is from most important to least important.

1.) Liquid Corid (This is for the treatment of coccidiosis)
2.) Vetericyn, neosporin with NO pain killer, and or honey (Vetericyn and ORIGINAL neosporin are both for wound care. Vetericyn is more of an antibacterial spray. ORIGINAL neosporin is more of an antibacterial cream. Honey is optional here, it helps wound recover, but is not as great on large wounds, only for small scrapes, its also bad because it attracts flies).
3.) Valbezen, Safeguard, etc. (Safeguard and Valbezen are both chicken dewormers. They may say "for goats, sheep, cattle," but they are used for chickens off label).
4.) Vaseline/petroleum jelly (Treatment for scaly leg mites)
5.) Tweezers (for picking off maggots from a bird with flystrike).
6.) Monistat 7 (This is an anti fungal treatment for sour crop).
7.) Coconut oil (For cooking for chickens and for impacted crop).
8.) Dog crate and dog pads (This is for separating sick birds).
9.) Extra syringes (To give medications orally with).
10.) Rooster booster, save-a-chick electrolytes, etc. (Immune booster/supplement).
11.) Towels, blow dryer, scissors, etc. (For washing birds).
The Vaseline is also great for coating (lightly) combs and wattles against frostbite. The Monistat cream is my go-to for vent gleet. I'd also add Hen Healer to the list, which soothes and protects pecking injuries without the crazy staining of BluKote.

Back
Top Bottom