What is the best coop for guineas?

Feb 5, 2022
Wyoming
My brother recently got two guinea keets they are getting a lot of their feathers in now.
Anyways I want to know what is the best kind of coop to have? I live in south eastern wyoming it gets really windy here and it can/does get below zero as well during the winter. I am not sure if they will be free ranging or if they will have some type of run or fenced in area for them.
I have eight ducks and ten chickens as well so any tips on how to make sure their is no fighting between the guineas and the chickens and ducks would be appreciated (if the guinea fowl will be allowed to free range or interact with the chickens and ducks.)
I want to get the right coop for them and be well informed on how to care for them.
Thank you for any suggestions and advice!

My brother recently got two guinea keets they are getting a lot of their feathers in now.
Anyways I want to know what is the best kind of coop to have? I live in south eastern Wyoming it gets really windy here and it can/does get below zero as well during the winter. I am not sure if they will be free ranging or if they will have some type of run or fenced in area for them.
I have eight ducks and ten chickens as well so any tips on how to make sure their is no fighting between the guineas and the chickens and ducks would be appreciated (if the guinea fowl will be allowed to free range or interact with the chickens and ducks.)
I want to get the right coop for them and be well informed on how to care for them.
Thank you for any suggestions and advice!
I recommend that you read the thread Raising Guinea Fowl 101 and pay particular attention to posts made by @PeepsCA .

My Guinea Coop

Two guineas is not enough for proper flock dynamics. I never recommend that anyone have fewer than 10. I do not recommend brooding keets with other poultry. The effects of the imprinting can be harmful once they mature and no longer have the ability to understand that the other poultry are not guineas.

Guineas have entirely different behaviors than do any other poultry. These behaviors especially during breeding season can cause a lot of stress for the other poultry. I brood, raise and house my guineas separately from my other poultry.

You are welcome to join us on the Wyoming Unite!!!! thread

I recommend that you read the thread Raising Guinea Fowl 101 and pay particular attention to posts made by @PeepsCA .

My Guinea Coop

Two guineas is not enough for proper flock dynamics. I never recommend that anyone have fewer than 10. I do not recommend brooding keets with other poultry. The effects of the imprinting can be harmful once they mature and no longer have the ability to understand that the other poultry are not guineas.

Guineas have entirely different behaviors than do any other poultry. These behaviors especially during breeding season can cause a lot of stress for the other poultry. I brood, raise and house my guineas separately from my other poultry.

You are welcome to join us on the Wyoming Unite!!!! thread
Thank you!

My brother got the guineas on impulse I believe. And he bought them with his own money and buys their food. He is the only one taking care of them for the most part because their his and he wants to be the only one taking care of them.
I think the guineas are three weeks old maybe? They have most of their "adult" feathers in now. We don't have any other birds with them.
What size tub do you think they will need now until they are big enough to go outside?
And should they have a little roost in the tub with them?
I was thinking and even told him the day he brought them home that he should have gotten four keets but he didn't for many reasons he doesn't really know yet if he wants to keep them for meat or eggs or what, I am guessing those are the some reasons why.

I also noticed that they have a sneeze and their faces in front of their eyes move when they breath so I think they have some kind of respiratory problem or something, they don't have any drainage from their nose or eyes from what I have seen and their poops look normal. And they eat and drink, I think that this is my biggest concern about them is that they might have a respiratory issue, could it be from wood shavings they are on pine wood shavings I don't exactly know what wood in particular but I know it is most likely pine or some other wood. The bag doesn't say specifically what wood other then softwood shavings.
I hope this all makes sense and what not.

I think the guineas are three weeks old maybe? They have most of their "adult" feathers in now.
Guineas at 3 weeks old have their intermediate feathers. They will not have their adult feathers until later.
We don't have any other birds with them.
That is good.
What size tub do you think they will need now until they are big enough to go outside?
I keep my keets in a 4'x4' brooder until they are 2 weeks old. By that time they are flying out of the brooder so they go into a grow out pen that is probably 10' x 14'.
I was thinking and even told him the day he brought them home that he should have gotten four keets but he didn't for many reasons he doesn't really know yet if he wants to keep them for meat or eggs or what, I am guessing those are the some reasons why.
Four would have been better than two but still not enough. One problem with getting keets is they are only sold straight run and you won't be able to sex them until they are nearly mature.

Guineas are delicious if he is wanting them for meat. A standard guinea will dress out at about 2.5 lbs. when mature. As for keeping them for eggs, guineas are seasonal layers. My flock is mostly older birds and none have started laying yet this year. Their eggs are bantam sized. They stop laying for me in October.

Most people keep guineas for tick control. Some keep them for amusement.
I also noticed that they have a sneeze and their faces in front of their eyes move when they breath so I think they have some kind of respiratory problem or something, they don't have any drainage from their nose or eyes from what I have seen and their poops look normal. And they eat and drink, I think that this is my biggest concern about them is that they might have a respiratory issue, could it be from wood shavings they are on pine wood shavings I don't exactly know what wood in particular but I know it is most likely pine or some other wood. The bag doesn't say specifically what wood other then softwood shavings.
Keets should have access to appropriate sized grit if they are kept on wood chips. In Wyoming an easy source for grit are the ant hills. Make sure you don't get too many ants with the grit.

Guineas at 3 weeks old have their intermediate feathers. They will not have their adult feathers until later.

That is good.

I keep my keets in a 4'x4' brooder until they are 2 weeks old. By that time they are flying out of the brooder so they go into a grow out pen that is probably 10' x 14'.

Four would have been better than two but still not enough. One problem with getting keets is they are only sold straight run and you won't be able to sex them until they are nearly mature.

Guineas are delicious if he is wanting them for meat. A standard guinea will dress out at about 2.5 lbs. when mature. As for keeping them for eggs, guineas are seasonal layers. My flock is mostly older birds and none have started laying yet this year. Their eggs are bantam sized. They stop laying for me in October.

Most people keep guineas for tick control. Some keep them for amusement.

Keets should have access to appropriate sized grit if they are kept on wood chips. In Wyoming an easy source for grit are the ant hills. Make sure you don't get too many ants with the grit.
Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom