What is the best "egg basket"?

kerusnak

Chirping
8 Years
May 2, 2015
South Mississippi
I'm guessing at most I will get 6 a day but I am clumsy and even collecting 1 I have almost dropped/cracked it. What do you use to keep the eggs safe until you get inside?

Not a pocket, that's for sure
wink.png

Whatever I have on hand. The bowl I used to carry scraps to them, a spare egg carton, a cute basket that caught my eye and didn't get destroyed by the dog yet, my T-shirt, whatever.

But definitely not a pocket.

I started out going with "cutsie"....a red wire egg basket I spotted at Tractor Supply. Gosh, the multi-colored eggs looked so farm-y in that thing! Adorable. One day I went out to the coop and realized I'd forgotten the basket. So I carefully made a giant pocket from the front hem of my T-shirt and put the eggs in there. It worked. Okay. A few days of remembering the basket interspersed with more days of forgetting the basket. Before you know it I was grabbing anything out there to put eggs in.

So just about anything will work...some looking cuter than others in the process. I finally got smart and put a hook out in the coop. Now I go out there and the basket's waiting. I don't gather eggs until later in the evening so I fill the basket, bring it in, put the eggs in cartons, then take the basket back out when I shut up the coop for the night and leave it on the hook. I'm so proud of me! Oh, wait. Winter's coming and I'm going to have to start collecting several times a day. Maybe I ain't so smart after all. Bet my last nickle that within a week of snow and wind I'll be back to grabbing whatever's handy again.

Cheap 59 or 99 cent baskets from Goodwill lined with a little aspen excelsior works well with my young daughters and it looks good on the counter top as well...

I had to look up aspen excelsior....

LOL, it's probably something you have seen 1000 times on TV when they break open a crate and just didn't know what it was called... ;)

My daughter wove a basket in 4-H so we use that when I remember it. Most days they end up in my shirt lol I hold the hem out to make a big pocket basically and pile them in

Back
Top Bottom