What is the best time to start brooding eggs under a hen?

CoopCrazy13

In the Brooder
Jul 7, 2015
I have a muscovy hen who seems to be getting broody. I am planning on putting 2 of her own eggs and 5-6 island reds under her. When would be then best time to start brooding? I live in Merritt British Columbia Canada

Do you mean you wanted to put chicken eggs under a muscovy duck? That's not wise, because when the duck tries to go into her water with the ducklings, the chicks are apt to follow and drown themselves. It's usually okay to have a chicken raise waterfowl, but not the other way around.

That said, if you're set on doing it, muscovy eggs take 35 days to hatch and chickens only 21, so you'd need to put the chicken eggs under her after she's already been on her own eggs for two weeks.

You can let her sit on her own eggs whenever, ducklings are very hardy and it'll take over a month for them to hatch so it'll be warmer by then anyway. But I really would steer clear of putting chicken eggs under her unless your plan is to take those when they hatch and raise them yourself.

Yes, my plan was to raise the chicks myself once they were hatched as my hens don't usually brood and for the reason that yes, the hen might lead the chicks into the water. Many of my birds are second or even third hand so are often shy.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom