What is the best way to catch a fox?

I've just had a chicken taken today by a fox, I had a visual on the fox two days ago around dusk so I thought after my dog had been out and about and during the day they would be ok, sadly I was wrong! I am going to pick up a live trap tonight but just not sure what to use as bait? The thought of putting a chick in there makes me ill but others have said its the best to be sure to trap? I like the idea of a mouse but they don't really make the noise a chick or chicken would.

The old steel jaw traps are illegal in most places and may risk catching children, pets or even your chooks. I've had some success with cage traps and some people I know have had success using snares. Snares are much cheaper but I have only used them for rabbits so I can't help much for snaring foxes.

Many cage traps that are sold as fox traps are way too small at least for the foxes here in Australia. The cage trap that has given me the best results is 1200 long x 450 x 450mm or about 48" long x 18" x 18" or you could Google how to build a fox snare.

Use 1/4 of a roast chicken for bait with some smaller pieces of chicken as "free food" around the entrance of the trap. In some areas foxes will avoid traps with any human scent so you may want to wear gloves when baiting and handling your trap.

Old smart foxes will sometimes avoid traps.

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom