What is the best way to put a cat to sleep?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sorry you had to put your cat down. It's always tough. My vet doesn't charge anything for putting a pet down if the pet has been a client of his.

Now THAT sounds like an awesome vet!

He is awesome. He has taught me a lot over the years about taking care of injured strays that always seem to find my house.
roll.png
And if he does need to see them he doesn't charge me an office call.​

Quote:
He is awesome. He has taught me a lot over the years about taking care of injured strays that always seem to find my house.
roll.png
And if he does need to see them he doesn't charge me an office call.

wow, sounds like great vet!
big_smile.png

Sorry for the loss of your pet.

But my family (uncles) have put down many animals with a bullet. It is way cheaper and faster than a vet. After one experience I had at a vets office. I will never go back to get an animal put down. I had a sick cat, took it to the vet to be put down. We alway take our cats home to bury. Well I went to dig a proper hole and place her in a better box for her funeral. The cat was still alive. And that was done by a vet. Contacted the vet and she wanted the whole fee all over again to put her all the way down. Poor cat was suffering so. She wanted to get up to walk. But could barely lift her head up. Couldnt eat or drink. I thought it was wrong for the vet to charge a second fee. The whole price to, to finish what should have been finished the first time.. So that cat was humanly dispatched with a properly placed bullet. I regret ever taking that cat to the vet. She had a horrible ending to her life..

After that incident, I have only had one pet put down by a vet. And that was because she was in the middle of surgery. And they couldnt save her. Or at least fix what was wrong. And instead of letting her suffer, I told them to put her down. Sence she was already asleep it was easier for her to go. But to this day I wish I was with my dog of 15 years when she went..

Oh and the suggestions about taking the pet to a shelter or human society. Well sence most are turning into no kill shelters. That wont work. And when the shelter here did put pets down. It was the same price as the vets office. Because they had to use the vet to do it.

If you have access to helium with a regulator, the gas will put him to sleep without pain. You'll need a bag that keeps the helium around the cat's nose area, otherwise it just dissipates. Nitric oxide also works this way, but is more expensive and generally unavailable. I don't agree with those that suggest the "only humane way is at the Vet". That's just pure capitalistic thinking at it's worst. Good luck.

Starting fluid these days IS NOT ETHER !!!!!!! ---- It`s a NASTY combination of chemicals that the EPA has approved for STARTING ENGINES --- ONLY !!!!!!!!!!! --- This stuff May well Kill your pet , But , NOT in the way you intend !!!!! ( Read your labels people , I Run a Shop for a living , I DO Know of what I speak !! )
I SERIOUSLY Feel for folks looking for help with this issue , I`m There right now with my 19 yr. old cat , ``Summit`` -- Thats How I Found MY Way here !!! --- DONT TRY USING STARTING FLUID !!!! --- IT`S NOT ETHER ANY MORE !!!!!!!!!!!!! ------------ I PRAY PEACE For ALL Those in this situation ,
For Tonight @ Least , I`ll TRY & Find Peace ( & SLEEP ) with My Good `Ol Cat , Summit & My MUCH Beloved Hounds ,His Mommy & Brother Neiyha & Nedward IN MY BED TOGETHER WITH US , As I TRY to find Final Peace for Summit . ---------- Steve G. , Owner , STS Powersports in Pine Colo. . -------------

I just joined THE SITE -- I Posted a reply before , Thats why I signed up & joined the site , But I Dont see it coming up ! ---- ``Starting Fluid~`` IS NOT ETHER ANYMORE !!! ---- DONT TRY IT !!!!!!!!!! ---------------( a .22 round WILL / WOULD be quicker & More Humane IF PROPERLY PLACED , I Just DONT Have it in me to shoot Summit , I`d Likely Be Cryin` Too hard to do it RIGHT ! ---- ) PLEASE PEOPLE , DONT TRY STARTING FLUID , IT`S NOT REALLY ETHER ANYMORE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Try That in Conifer / Bailey / or EVERGREEN Colo. & You`ll find ( Like I Did ! ) --- That DOESNT WORK Like you THINK It Will , The Local shelter (S ) are BADLY overloaded & I WONT LIE & Said ``I just found Him`` & Let Him Die alone ! --- Vets up here are Trained Docs.W/ Bills to pay too , I KINDA Get it , But , ALL They want ( From MY experience anyway , NO Offence meant to Vets who actually CARE ! ) Is To GET PAID !!!!!I -- I got quoted 55$ for the ``Office Visit`` , 65$ for an ``evaluation`` ( C`mon , He`s almost 20 yrs old & VISIBLY in Pain & Suffering ) -- , THEN it costs 65$ More to put Him down , Then , I get Him back in a BAG ( I`m OK with that part , I have a place for Him , NO Bag included ! ) AFTER I Traumatize the Ol Guy Hauling Him To the Vets office in my truck& PAY 185$ for the ``privilege`` . ----------- I REALLY wish I didnt HAVE TO ``Grow a pair `` & Put Him down with a .22 , But , After MUCH ``research`` on the computer , I guess I`ll just HAVE TO ``Grow a Pair `` & deal with the Consequences , But , I DO know how it`s done --- RIGHT , The 1st time !, ----.( May The Good Lord Forgive me ) --- Go ahead Folks , PLEASE check the web for peoples other `` Fixes`` for this issue , Then ,Make your best choice & LOVE YOUR ANIMAL , MAKE THE RIGHT CHOICE FOR YOU & YOUR PET , If I could afford it , i`d get the ``Vet`` to come to me ,
Please Pray to Give me the Strength to Do WHATS REALLY RIGHT !------------

------------------------------------------ Summits Dad . ----

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom