What is the ideal humidity for hatching in an incubator?

when do people take their chicks out of the incubator?

I usually take them out whenever there is a break in the action.
big_smile.png

Okay how do you lower the humidity? I've had my incubator running for 3 days without any water in it and no eggs and I can't seem to get it below 60%. That concerns me greatly. I'm waiting to put eggs in it until I can figure this out. I live South of Albuquerque and the temps outside range from highs of 50-65 and lows of 45-33. The humidity outside right now is at 36%. Does altitude effect any of this. Need some help.

Have you done a salt calibration of your hygrometer? I'm wondering if it's out of calibration. Any thing in your home that would cause the humidity to go up? Extra cooking? Are you venting your bathroom outside when you shower? Dryer venting outside? Running heat, what kind of heat?

Okay how do you lower the humidity? I've had my incubator running for 3 days without any water in it and no eggs and I can't seem to get it below 60%. That concerns me greatly. I'm waiting to put eggs in it until I can figure this out. I live South of Albuquerque and the temps outside range from highs of 50-65 and lows of 45-33. The humidity outside right now is at 36%. Does altitude effect any of this. Need some help.
Get a second hygrometer that can be calibrated. Do not rely on the built in to be accurate.

Yes that sounds fishy. Do you have another hygrometer that has been verified for accuracy? As lazy gardener mentioned, the salt test is an easy, quick, scientific way to verify if it is right or off.

What is the altitude of Albuquerque? I do know that there are some differences in incubating at higher altitudes. I'm sure there are threads on the sibject.

@FridayYet may be able to add a few pointers.

Hi Nhcd33,
frow.gif

Like LG, JB and WV mentioned already, something is off on your humidity reading. What kind of incubator are you using and what kind of hygrometer?

I'm just North of Albuquerque, and have never had that high of humidity in my incubator when running dry- usually i'm fighting to increase it. (Especially during the spring winds!!) Our altitude won't affect your humidity reading much, but it does affect how you incubate if eggs are shipped in from a significantly lower altitude. Tip: If you are new at incubating, definitely use local eggs first! I can even give you some practice ones if you want.

Good luck. You have been given some good advice already and feel free to ask more questions!

Back
Top Bottom