What is the ideal humidity for hatching in an incubator?

So how is this looking for day 10, I feel like the air cell looks a bit small? So I need to decrease humidity?? The line shown slightly above the air cell is day 6.

I would say its averaging around 35%, hard to keep consistent, it sometimes drops to the high 20s, but when I first add a wet washcloth it starts at about 44... quickly drops though.

I would say its averaging around 35%, hard to keep consistent, it sometimes drops to the high 20s, but when I first add a wet washcloth it starts at about 44... quickly drops though.

Why are you using a washcloth? I have heard of people using one the last 3 days to up the humidity. What kind of incubator are you using? Does it have water reservoirs in the bottom? If so you got water in how many?

It is a homemade incubator, there is a large tray in the bottom with water, but with only that my humidity is only in the high teens and 20s, so I have been using a washcloth to keep it up... I think it is drying because I have a fan in there (a computer fan) but on lockdown I will take it out to increase humidity.

It is a homemade incubator, there is a large tray in the bottom with water, but with only that my humidity is only in the high teens and 20s, so I have been using a washcloth to keep it up... I think it is drying because I have a fan in there (a computer fan) but on lockdown I will take it out to increase humidity.

Can you add a bigger tray in the bottom or another smaller tray? Keep in mind that humidity is controlled by the amount of water surface you have----more surface the higher the humidity. Using a wash cloth gives it a lot more water surface but dries out quick. What you need is more water surface so it remains steady and keep refilling the containers before they empty. If you have the room you could add a small container of water---something like a coffee cup or a cut off water bottle or, or what ever you need to get the humidity steady.

You also need to have it already planned how much more water surface you are going to have to add to get the humidity a lot higher for the hatch-----if you are hatching in the same incubator. That is something you should have done before setting the eggs. But if you did not do it then---you need to be making plan---unless you are planning to stay up and keep wetting 2 or 3 washcloths.

This is my set up...water tray is under with an opening at the front...

OK----that explains why the low humidity with a large tray in the bottom. If you put a thermometer in the bottom where the water is at---it will be a lot cooler, so it does not produce as much humidity for the water surface.. What is your plan to get the humidity a lot higher for the hatch?

Last edited:
Ok... well the problem with adding another tray, is that the tray that turns the eggs has to slide back and forth and there isn't enough space, important to add we have had successful hatches with this incubator...but I moved it from my parents house to mine, where I think we have less humidity in the air due to heating source in the house. Hence why I added the washcloth... my hydrometer alarms when the humidity drops below 30% so I am able to dampen the washcloth. Umm, oh for the hatch I can add another tray of water, last time I used washcloths and a spray bottle...anyways, guess I just will just see how it goes. I know lots of people do use homemade incubators...cant afford to buy one!

Back
Top Bottom