What is the shelf life of our fresh eggs?

@CMOM:
I leave mine out for no longer than 2 weeks. I have seen posts either here on BYC or other forums that have said 30 days. I experimented and kept some in the fridge for 30 days after sitting out for 2 weeks previous. I ate them, they were all good @ 45 days old. They don't usually last that long here. Some ?friends? decided to help themselves and started coming over sometime during the day and getting the eggs out of the nest boxes. They were taking all of the eggs. I didn't know it. I work. I wondered why suddenly I wasn't getting any eggs.
barnie.gif
fl.gif
somad.gif
rant.gif

Those are some greedy friends!

Last edited:
So we had terrible issues a few years back with electricity and I did lots of research on how to extend and protect eggs on the shelf! At my amazement, fresh eggs, or eggs wiped off and coated with mineral oil and never refrigerated can be stored on a shelf in a cool room for up to 18 months! Each month you must go and flip them to keep the yoke centered! I have tested and use this method for storing my eggs. A bad egg will let you know it is bad, at first smell toss the egg. Sometimes you get bad ones only because there can be stress cracks that you do not see and air gets in and spoils the egg. but for more then a year we have been doing this and have less then a dozen bad ones. And we harvest aprox 22 dozen a week.

So we had terrible issues a few years back with electricity and I did lots of research on how to extend and protect eggs on the shelf! At my amazement, fresh eggs, or eggs wiped off and coated with mineral oil and never refrigerated can be stored on a shelf in a cool room for up to 18 months! Each month you must go and flip them to keep the yoke centered! I have tested and use this method for storing my eggs. A bad egg will let you know it is bad, at first smell toss the egg. Sometimes you get bad ones only because there can be stress cracks that you do not see and air gets in and spoils the egg. but for more then a year we have been doing this and have less then a dozen bad ones. And we harvest aprox 22 dozen a week.  
I heard the same thing! We all love the fresher the egg=is better egg, well it's time we allow nature takes its course and not rely on electric. Amish don't and we love their eggs♡ once we wash them and refrigerate them, it all goes away.

I leave mine out for no longer than 2 weeks. I have seen posts either here on BYC or other forums that have said 30 days. I experimented and kept some in the fridge for 30 days after sitting out for 2 weeks previous. I ate them, they were all good @ 45 days old. They don't usually last that long here. Some ?friends? decided to help themselves and started coming over sometime during  the day and getting the eggs out of the nest boxes. They were taking all of the eggs. I didn't know it. I work. I wondered why suddenly I wasn't getting any eggs. /img/smilies/barnie.gif  /img/smilies/fl.gif   /img/smilies/somad.gif  /img/smilies/rant.gif
are they still doing this? What did you do to prevent them? We'd be sooo ticked. I'd even put ceremic eggs in their place after each collection-haha.

Back
Top Bottom