What is the temprature of a chickens foot?

I love the county fair, and my kids did lots of posters!.

So I looked at this question a bit differently. I googles, "why don't birds feet freeze?" The is a system in which the temperature of the foot is carefully controlled so the bird can walk on freezing temperatures, without that chilled blood shocking the main body of the bird. The internal temperature of the bird should be close to 104 F, where as the feet in snow or cold water, can be just slightly above freezing. The reverse seemed to be true too, the feet can release heat during hot weather.

So the feet seem to be much closer to the temperature of the environment, where as the temperature of the main body remains constant, or very close to constant.

Maybe that will help you.

Mrs K

I love the county fair, and my kids did lots of posters!.

So I looked at this question a bit differently. I googles, "why don't birds feet freeze?" The is a system in which the temperature of the foot is carefully controlled so the bird can walk on freezing temperatures, without that chilled blood shocking the main body of the bird.  The internal temperature of the bird should be close to 104 F, where as the feet in snow or cold water, can be just slightly above freezing. The reverse seemed to be true too, the feet can release heat during hot weather.

So the feet seem to be much closer to the temperature of the environment, where as the temperature of the main body remains constant, or very close to constant.

Maybe that will help you.

Mrs K

A variant on this where you might see a departure between feet and environmental temperatures. Measure the temperature of a chicken that is relaxed. Next have the bird exert itself in a sustained manner where it begins to pant. Then measure temperature again.

Chickens I have are bred for sustained activity. They can also fly better than most chickens, a lot better. Sometimes my hens will fly across a field requiring an interval of sustained activity that is usually less than 15 seconds. At the end of such flights, even when temperature is sub-zero, the hens will hold wings just like they do on an extremely hot day. A possible explanation is the wing muscles are exhausted. The same hens, if having to do a lot of running like when trying to avoid an amorous cockerel will do the same thing even when they use their wings very little. Ambient temperature may impact the duration of how the wings are held after a period of exertion.

Thermal Gun. My unit of dead. To do any science it ideally will be accurate to within 0.5 degrees F within the range you expect leg temperature to be. Look in the electrical / tools dept of Lowes or similar stores. Price of minimal unit I would use was $49.99. You might also be able to find an electrician that uses one of quality needed. I assume your budget is limited.

Back
Top Bottom