What is this? (pics)

ChicksterJo

Songster
8 Years
Feb 19, 2011
Grounded on Earth
This Easter Egger is about 8 weeks old, but she's had something wrong with her beak since she was a few weeks old. Her lower beak seems to have not developed correctly and is moved slightly to her right, and her upper beak is curved down way too much.
80295_dsc01507.jpg

80295_dsc01510.jpg

There also appears to be some "growth" where her lower beak meets her face. She eats but she makes weird movements like she is having a hard time swallowing. I'm just wondering if this is really a "cross beak" or if it is something else. I'd hate to see her die; she's the sweetest of the bunch and she loves jumping onto my shoulder. Otherwise I tear up sometimes thinking that she's in pain or something.

Thanks for anyone's input.

I don't know anything about canker...but I have an EE named Sophia who has a crossed beak. Her beak looked very much like your chicks when she was little. I trimmed it with nail clippers, top and bottom. Do just a little bit or it will bleed. She grew up and is now almost a year old. She does just fine. I make sure to give her a deep water dish and food dish of her own. She does end up with a lot of food on her face...but the other chickens pick it off of her. It's kind of funny. This is her dish, she puts her whole face it to eat! And she gets all wet because she stick her whole face in the water dish, too!

72121_sophia.jpg

I've never heard of canker before now, but is that where there are yellow lesions in the mouth? She doesn't have any lesions, she seems to be acting normally, but I was wondering if the growth at the bottom of her beak is related to how her lower beak is not developing very well? She has a normal appetite and poop does not seem out of the ordinary.

With a beak issue that severe, I doubt the chick will get enough food and water to survive to maturity, much less have a good quality of life. Personally, I have a tender spot for the oddballs, but I would put it down. I'm sorry.

Yes I am thinking about culling it. If it is just cross beak, then I will have to do that. I know some people's cross beaks survive to an older age, but it is just very sad to see this chicken half the size of its batch mates and not feathering out so well (as you can see).

Back
Top Bottom