What is this predator? **** Coop Cam photo****

Dark Coyote and large wild cat(not domestic). I agree with protecting your stock just be exceedingly as humane as possible when taking out what you consider vermin. The "vermin" are just trying to survive and you have provided an easy meal. Point being, don't make your prey suffer.Our biggest problem in central Oh. has been raccoons and we have become extremely efficient at taking them out but have failed at the fur keeping part! Hopefully by next summer have equipment/knowledge in place for processing(if need be).

Commensal means literally "eating at the same table" and refers to the familiar rodents of the human existence. Most commonly referred to as the big three or Roof Rat Rattus rattus, Norway Rat Rattus norvegicus and House Mouse Mus mus. These three all originally native to differing areas of Asia hitched their wagon to humans and are now found worldwide living literally at our table. Commensal for trapping purposes can also apply to other rodent species that do harm to our homes and property like our new world species white footed mice, wood/trade/pack rats and cotton rats among others.
This does not apply to other rodents that are declared to be game or furbearer species like squirrels, beaver or muskrat. In Georgia these are governed by either hunting or trapping regulations and require a license to trap and further if you are a trapper for hire as I am an additional permit is needed to both charge a fee for services and take wildlife outside of regulated seasons. The permit also allows me to work with species such as bats that otherwise have protections.

Yes, traps are readily available much to my displeasure. Nothing wrong with owning traps but there is much wrong IMO with selling an item without educating the buyer in not only the legalities but also rudimentary use. I get calls all the time that start out "my husband bought a trap at xxxx" and end when I tell them it will cost them XXX to come get the opossum/raccoon/skunk they have no idea of what to do with. Or worse yet I find traps on jobs where I've been called in ,after someone trying and failed, that have the remains of animals left in them. Probably the most dangerous though are footholds and body gripper traps in the hands of the untrained. Both styles of trap can be completely indiscriminate and can do harm if misused, the bodygripper is lethal by design much like a rat trap. In the hands of a trained trapper both styles are completely safe. For instance large bodygrippers are to be used only in water for beaver or otter, places where dogs, cats or small children are not expected to be.
This is the reason Georgia requires a license to set traps and has regulations regarding the sizes and types of traps that may be used. Again a for instance, Georgia has a #2 law which states that footholds used on dry land may have an inside jaw spread no greater than 5.75 inches, generally a #2 sized trap. Yet you can purchase in almost every feed and seed #4 sized, 6.5" spread, traps intended for use in water for beaver. Without knowing the regulations the average consumer would think this is not only a legal item to purchase but to use on his own property as he/she sees fit. I've had to educate many DIYs over the years.
Personally, I think that where ever traps are sold there should be posted Georgia's trapping regulations just help keep people out of trouble. Also the bane of the trapping community is the unintentional by catch or non targets. A responsible trapper does everything in his/her power to avoid conflicts that are going to further restrict us like catching someone's dog or cat. Without training not only is this possible but harm to other species of wildlife can result. And again, while Georgia does not have restrictions on exposed baits many states do due to overhead visibility by raptors and the possible by catch of birds of prey. A skilled trapper knows this and how to avoid it.
All to often by this point many try to tune me out and say I just want restrict folks or force them to hire someone like me. On the contrary I'm doing my best to protect not only my livelihood but your right to solve your own wildlife issues as you see fit. The misconceptions of wildlife trapping in today's society has led to severe restrictions in many areas. California, Florida, Colorado, New Jersey all prohibit the use of footholds, in New Jersey it is a felony to even own a foothold. In our own Georgia the use of snares is limited to only one species, beaver, thanks to risk to dogs. It matters not that I can demonstrate the safe use of all these items without risk to non targets the political climate and inability to require education makes these tools a target.

Wow, who put that soap box there let me climb down off it. ;)

On relocation in Georgia any Rabies Vector Species (RVS) cannot be relocated from point of capture. This means it is released where caught or dispatched. RVS, species for simplicity are specified as all of our carnivorous mammals, save black bear which is totally off limits to us. Another exception is bats which while RVS are of such low risk and of special concern that they have blanket protection. Many in the DNR are of the opinion but none will say it, at least not publicly, to ignore the release on sight and dispatch all RVS. I assume this applies in all areas where rabies is present and act accordingly.

Another strange tidbit of Georgia code. The only legal means of dispatch of trapped wildlife is a .22 caliber firearm. Again this is strict interpretation and not enforced per se but the regulations does read like this.

It is unlawful to fail to carry a weapon of .22 cal. rimfire while tending traps and to use that weapon to dispatch any furbearing animal to be taken.

Also if you set traps don't forget your choke stick.

It is unlawful to fail to carry a choke stick or similar device while tending traps and to use that device to release domestic animals.

Now if you've made it to this point and think crap the state wants me to spend money on a license just to trap a raccoon think again. Our DNR is pretty lenient and understanding. They have a plan in place just for the homeowner, small landowners and farmers. A simple phone call to Social Circle special permits unit, just google georgia dept of natural resources, can get you a FREE 30 day trapping license. All they ask is that you review and understand the regulations for your own good. They can also give you a list of folks like myself if you wish to hire it done.
Not just trapping either, I've never seen a more lenient state to issue depredation permits for shooting deer either.

All right you "rural folks" let's use some common sense. I am rural folk myself being a native son of The Heart of Dixie even though I currently reside on the outskirts of that cesspool known as Atlanta. Heck the only reason I'm here is back home in Bama we eat our problems and city folk pay.

I post stuff like I do because my greatest fear is that some city idiot will take matters into there own hands when they see a "wolf" in their urban back yard and buy that #44 Blake and Lamb off ebay and set it in the back yard without securing it and next thing you know it's all over the national news when the governor's pomeranian wanders in with a bear trap on it's leg.
It will be all of us that lose. I'll either be out of work or so restricted no one can afford me and the rural folk will be criminals.

There is no reason in this day and age of Internet knowledge not to find the training needed to use tools effectively. Also there are ample examples of what not to do like this.

How to catch a Skunk:

Trust me on this. I have a misdemeanor animal cruelty conviction thanks to a Spalding county magistrate judge who looked me in the eye and said, "State law does not apply in Spalding county". All that over a feral cat caught in a trap.

Most truly rural folks just SSS. Being truly rural usually means they live far enough away that spying eyes don't see what or whether you've trapped or even care if you've shot something. There are so many gunshots around here on any given evening, wouldn't even grab anyone's attention. So, the predator issue is taken care of without anyone being the wiser most of the time. We could all be murdered here by gunshot and no one would find out for quite some time-too many bullets flying daily for anyone to think anything of it, varmints being eliminated all the time.
Nobody reports anything, nobody really knows anything that goes on up here at our place and I suspect that most folks in truly rural areas are the same way, unless the shooter/trapper has a habit of running off at the mouth and someone takes exception. Only time I did report a gunshot was when some idiot was shooting at squirrels in his garden with a .22 down the mountain, missed and the bullet traveled through the trees and dinged a steel garden post about 20 ft from where my husband and I were standing. Close call. Had the sheriff go talk to him about being stupid.

Oh, I totally agree but my words aren't aimed at those of us who grew up learning this as a matter of fact but the ranchette folks "not from around here". I'm sure they would have similar things to say if this redneck moved into one of their gated communities.

I personally don't care if folks choose to "stump break" their goats, none of my business. Just please don't make it an issue for the rest of us.

Hey, I'm not advocating anything one way or another, don't get me wrong, just stating facts as they are in these parts. It's good to know the law, even if one plans on breaking it.
wink.png

Quote: ???? No clue what you're talking about, sorry.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom