What is this?

jpalmatier2

In the Brooder
Apr 14, 2023
We have had a busy week. I went out to do my weekly chores with our chickens and noticed this. I am feeling terrible for not noticing it all week! This is a one year old Buff Orpington. Any ideas on what this is and how to treat it?

IMG_3045.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_3044.jpeg
    IMG_3044.jpeg
    490.4 KB · Views: 21
It almost looks like mite eggs. Check over you whole flock and see if you can find any mites or more of that stuff by the vent. Mites especially like the vent area.

We have had a busy week. I went out to do my weekly chores with our chickens and noticed this. I am feeling terrible for not noticing it all week! This is a one year old Buff Orpington. Any ideas on what this is and how to treat it?

View attachment 3800337
Are you in the US?

I agree it looks like mites or lice..

https://the-chicken-chick.com/poultry-lice-and-mites-identification/

My preference for treatment is affordable permethrin based spray (sold in the equine section).. small spritz just below the vent, under each wing pit, and back of the neck at the base of the head.. done after dark using a flashlight or head lamp and keeping it dark to prevent any chasing.. No egg withdrawal required. Follow up treatment as directed to completely break the life cycle.

Okay I will look into the mites treatment. Our chickens are very gentle. She let me give her a warm water bath. I think the darkness on her feathers was dirt because it just rinsed away. This is the after bath picture.

Attachments

• IMG_3047.jpeg
    IMG_3047.jpeg
    526.8 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_3046.jpeg
    IMG_3046.jpeg
    484.1 KB · Views: 18
Okay I will look into the mites treatment. Our chickens are very gentle. She let me give her a warm water bath. I think the darkness on her feathers was dirt because it just rinsed away. This is the after bath picture.
If it came off that easily then it may just be the dirt.

Thank you everyone for your feedback. We cleaned our hen up with the bath first. Then we purchased permethrin to apply to their coop. We will continue monitoring our girls. Will we need to reapply the permethrin?

Thank you everyone for your feedback. We cleaned our hen up with the bath first. Then we purchased permethrin to apply to their coop. We will continue monitoring our girls. Will we need to reapply the permethrin?
I believe permethrin should be reapplied a week after the first time.

Back
Top Bottom