What is your favorite dust bath mixture?

I've found the 1 part Food Grade DE, 1 part garden soil, 1 part charcoal and 1 part sand works really well for me. We have a very hard clay based soil so I'll ad some peat moss about twice a yr to keep they're dust baths nice and loose. I haven't had any mite or lice yet so I'm hoping mt mix will keep working for me!

If only I could get mine to dust themselves in the dusting station! However, my chooks are pastured and they will just plop down and dust anywhere they please!

Not sure how to change that behavior.....
barnie.gif

I ordered a big box of DE but not sure if it's good grade. How do I find out if it is food grade? How often do Quail need to dust bathe? Also what is a good winter mix for Quail?

Sincerely,
Your Fellow Homesteader,
Glaseria
1f495.png
1f43e.png

1f54a.png

Our "girls " seem to like a mixture of topsoil, sand, peat and a small amount of food grade DE. They free range, but enjoy this.:)

There are no dumb questions here! I'm a newbie as well, and LOVE this site!

Not sure about the DE, I just use some top soil, paver sand and regular sand all mixed together. In the thread above is a great idea with wood ashes and such...I'm going to try that!

Last edited:
Instead of DE I use elemental sulfur for my chickens. I put some in their feed and just made them an in-coop dustbath (finally dawned on me that they needed one with this endless rain and mud outside) with some sulfur in it, too. The great thing is that there are not the concerns as with breathing DE dust, and the sulfur transfers easily from chicken to chicken, so even if not everyone uses the bath, everyone will get enough sulfur dust on them to keep bugs at bay. I read about it in the Chicken Health book and am always surprised not more people know about it. Makes taking care of them so much easier. No need to sneak up on them at night and dangle the poor unsuspecting hens by their feet while pummeling them with a powder puff!
1f923.png
q

I have just added ash to existing dust spots, but after seeing this study I have some sulphur on the way...

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22458590

Back
Top Bottom