What keeps hawks away?

Amarisus

Songster
10 Years
May 14, 2011
Fallbrook CA
I'm sure this question has been ask alot so if there is a thread could someone lead me to it or just be willing to answer it again. I keep my chickens in a run where they are very safe, but I have a perfect yard to let them free range in but the only real problem is hawks. They would go back in the run at night, and the dogs are good at keeping other predators away. But during the day there are just hawks everywhere! Do turkeys or geese keep them at bay or are they just hawk food as well? Whats the best way to keep my chickens safe from hawks while free ranging?

If you're interested in planting for chicken free-range predator coverage, I recommend "Free-Range Chicken Gardens: How to Create a Beautiful Chicken-Friendly Yard" by Jessi Bloom. It's very helpful in sharing what plants work well with chickens. I checked it out from the library, but ordered my own copy because it's a keeper!

Well the crows help to a certain extent here but they soon get bored of chasing the hawks off and go off somewhere else. We have a pair of redtails that have been stalking the heck out of my birds for the past 3 days now. These same hawks killed my duck on thanksgiving day last year. Your best bet is to stand out there with the birds and waive a pitch fork around like a raving lunatic. The 2 here are very smart and not the least bit scared of me or my pitch fork. They start out a ways away from the yard, then one comes flying by screaming to distract the chickens and the other one (I call him silent bob) swoops in quiet as a mouse. The silent one takes down the prey and then his buddy joins him for the feast. It's the biggest challenge I have had to face with having the chickens free range.

Hi...I was told the crows do a good job of keeping the hawks at bay. We have wooded acreage and the hawks are everywhere...as well as crows. I would hate to think I had to keep watch every minute they were free roaming.....but looks like I might have to have a designated "free roam time". I will soon have a 12x5 covered run, but someone mentioned on here bird netting worked well if you have a small area to cover. Good luck!

You being with them the attacks will lessen,but they are never completely safe except in a covered run. I let mine out. Hawks seem to be busy courting each other right now,so they have ignored my birds. I would say crows are good to have near(but not IN your yard),because my neighbor had an injured(by crows) juvie hawk on his porch.So they do more than just chase them-they attack.

The standard stuff suggested....mylar ribbon,fishing line,old cd's,bird netting,many places to hide.

I think the best approach is to wait until spring to free range. Despite having lots of hawks around, I had no problems with free ranging until winter. I think the lack of cover and limited supply of food makes the chickens an attractive target. When the chickens have plenty of cover, and the hawks have more easily available prey, chickens are farther down on the menu. I'll let you know how this theory works for me in June. Good luck.

Ravens are the most powerful hawk defense ravens and owls, ravens will attack them during the day they take attacks to a higher level then crows because ravens will try to take out a hawks flight feathers so it will crash and cant fly anymore.

Owls will kill all roosting hawks at night and eat them. The great horned owl is the number one hawk and falcon predator. Not sure how to attract either to your area.

Very few types of hawk will take full size chickens. It takes a very big hawk to even try it.

However, if you have hawks that do eat chickens, your only truly safe way to keep poultry is under cover. Perhaps allow them out while you can stand right over the top of them to protect them.

My dog also does a good job protecting against hawks. When one flies over she barks and stays in the area it is over refusing to let it land. A heron was brave enough to land on the other side of the pond one day and she went running over scaring it off as soon as it landed.

Back
Top Bottom