What killed my 6 week old chick?

Quacking ducks

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
May 31, 2019
Hi, I went out this afternoon and could not find one of my hen’s chicks. she has for six week old chicks but this afternoon, one of them went missing. I tried looking for this afternoon, but it was so windy here, that I couldn’t hear if it was chirping at all, so I waited until this evening, when the wind calm down when I found it under some wood, the head and neck were missing. any idea what would’ve done this in the middle of the day? Thanks

If it was under the wood - perhaps a mink or weasel. If just laying there - perhaps a Sharpshin or Cooper's hawk. Be on the lookout. the predator is very likely to return tomorrow.

If it was under the wood - perhaps a mink or weasel. If just laying there - perhaps a Sharpshin or Cooper's hawk. Be on the lookout. the predator is very likely to return tomorrow.
I thought of mink or weasel, but I didn’t think that they actually take the neck and head off and I didn’t think owls or hawks would go underneath a wood pile to kill it.Go away thing I could think of was a raccoon or a fox, but I would think they would have gotten my other birds as well. that chick hadn’t gone through a hole in the fence. What surprises me is that my rooster was out to and three other chicks were out as well but that seems to be the only one that got killed. I have an enclosed pen with the top covered as well that I will keep them in for a while and not let them into the open pen. some neighbors behind us started clearing out a lot of their woods on Sunday and I’m wondering if they disturbed the predator so he came up closer to the pen

Back
Top Bottom