What kind of chickens lay speckled eggs?

are all of them (except the white egg) wellie eggs? I ordered wellies last year, but one died and the other turned out to be a rooster...I wanted speckled eggs too.

are all of them (except the white egg) wellie eggs? I ordered wellies last year, but one died and the other turned out to be a rooster...I wanted speckled eggs too.

Yes, they are. There is some variation in how dark the eggs can be, just like a Marans egg can vary in shade. Some hens lay solid, some speckled - but terra cotta is what you are after with welsummers.

MINE look like that too. I have a cross of a welsummer and plymouth rock partridge. I thought when I first got the really dark chocolate eggs to incubate from a local farmer that I would get a Maran. One may be a cross with it as well. I got a dark chocolate egg with even darker spots. I am soooo excited. I'm tempted to hatch some to see what happens.

My littlest hen is laying small eggs and they are so sweet looking. Isn't that a chicken lover for you, precious egg? LOL

I'm new to this and so excited. My hens are coming out with a variety of eggs. All brown so I'm feeling good.

Here is the first speckled egg I've gotten, with some of my other typical colors. With 40 hens and pullets, in the coop, it's difficult to say, which one, laid this beautiful speckled egg.

I was recently given 3 generic black hens. I suspect, that it is from one of them, as my pullets who just started laying, all seem to be laying very small eggs, and my laying hens, have never laid anything close to this. Also, it was on the floor, and the new hens have been not roosting, on the roosts, nor nesting, in the nest boxes.
Even the guy that I got the 3 new hens from, wasn't certain on the breed(s). But, if this is typical, it will be a fun summer, when my grandkids visit, and see the new variety of egg colors, with 10 Aracaunas, 2 Cream Legbars, 9 Cukoo Marans, and whoever is laying these speckled Giants, now in the flock.

Last edited:
I sometimes forget, that Google Images, can be my friend.

It's a Narragansett Turkey egg, from my turkey hen, who REFUSES, to coop with the turkeys.

Every night, she is in the chicken coop, looking at me, like, "Hey dad, I'm home with the other chickens"! I used to take her out, and put her in the turkey coop. But, it became so regular, that I finally gave up, and just let her stay.

So, I did a Google image search, and found THIS photo, that just confirmed my error. It is a turkey, not a chicken, egg!!!

Woo-Hoo. My first turkey egg!!!!!

Amelia my Welsummers lays a lightly specked egg and I love it!

I have 2 Welsummers which I chose for the egg color and possible speckles and for temperament, and I'm not disappointed. They are both very sweet and lovely chickens. Great temperament, calm, I can hold and carry them without problems. In fact, I carried one down the street to a block party last summer to show the kids. Very docile.

Back
Top Bottom