What kind of dog do you have?

I have a Pit Bull Terrier who is wonderful with my chickens. I will post pictures when I get home
smile.png
He is great, and has been attacked numerous times by my territorial Barred Rock hen. She has full on attacked his head, recently over some hamburger lol, and he just moved away.

I taught him Don't Touch command as a YOUNG pup and used that with the chickens
smile.png
He is a great dog. I also had a female pitty who was wonderful with chickens also. They are very much prey driven though, my dog will run past a chicken and grab a squirrel out of the tree. But if trained right, they can be wonderful!!!!! He protects my girls as well from stray cats, hawks, ect.

But I never leave him outside unsupervised with the girls, because he chases squirrels and he would accidentally plow over a chicken to get to the squirrel.
smile.png
But I love him!!

My Bull Terrier, Elvis. I can't even describe to you how awesome this dog is.

zzzz.jpg

he is a great protector of baby chicks and chickens alike!

elviswithchickens001.jpg

in fact, he loves his chickens soooooo much, I think sometimes he wishes he was one!

chickendog014.jpg

We recently purchased a Great Pyrenees puppy to train him to guard our flock. He has been going out with us several times a day to "check the chickens" and is learning so fast. One of my friends has 4 Pyrenees and has never lost a chicken. She has even seen them keep hawks and other low flying predatory birds from being able to get her "girls". We are hoping for the same from our boy. He is only 2 months old, but is already showing great signs. His super calm personality makes learning incredibly fast too! Best wishes!

57970_onkun.jpg

Back
Top Bottom