What kind of dog do you have?

My Staffordshire terrier is called Luna and was a rescue dog.
We spent about 8 weeks getting to know her, taking her on long walks daily. We then went and visited my family in the UK for two weeks, when we got back the dog shelter called us to say that Luna has a skin condition brought on by stress. She'd spent the two weeks pinning for us, and had become reclusive, we brought her home that same day.

She's about 7 years old now, is great with the chickens and ducks, and is also fantastic with my two kids. She took to sleeping next to our bed when my GF was pregnant. When the kids where born she slept next to them on the floor.

DSCF0983.jpg

DSCF2963-1-1.jpg

DSCF1027.jpg

Aren't Staffs known as the "nanny dogs?" I've heard they are wonderful with kids!

Love the GPs, EmptyNest, especially the pups
love.gif
Kinzi looks like a good mama.

Chunk (female Chocolate Lab, 4) and Emma (black lab mix, 7). A couple years ago, they tag-teamed a chicken and killed it when the poor hen escaped the run. Now, we bring them nowhere near the coop.

32681_179631_1523018437690_1301466115_1085939_2815376_n.jpg

Last edited:
I have an soft coated Irish Wheaten Terrier. She's the best! Loves the kids, is really healthy, (at 10 she can still catch a squirrel) and is great with the chickens.
54722_044.jpg

Sorry, no pictures available. I have 2 Jack Russell Terriers. Only took 2 days to totally train the dogs that my chickens are untouchable, and that the dogs are expected to protect these egg laying friends. Even my two house cats will share a plate of left-overs with the chickens without a problem. One cat, my male 7-month old gold tabby will play- chase the bantam hen once in a while, not trying to catch, just teasing the hen.

i have a 13 year old very sweat Golden Retriever that is great with my chicken and when ever the dog next dog is braking because the chickens are outside he tells him off it so cute then we also have a 1 old jack russel who was drop off at our door one day very sweat but want to play with the chickens lol we are working to get him not to play

This is Gert and Boo: At the time the pic was taken Boo was about 4 months old. Boo is the Dane/lab mix who now weighs close to 200 pounds. Gert is dobie/boxer mix and defacto queen of the house. They both tolerate chickens and are afraid of turkeys. The turkeys move them out of the way to steal their food and then Boo whines at me because the big, bad birds took his dog food.
All my dogs are rescues. We also just got a Beagle/Chihauhau mix and I don't seem to have a pic of her yet in my album.

dogs001.jpg

Tilly, our 9 year old collie, will sit and watch the chickens for hours. She chases off anything that shouldn't be there, including wild birds. She has treed a few coons, and chased one down and brought it to me once (I would never have sent her after one, but I thought she was after a rabbit or something until she dropped the coon at my feet).
28480_farmdog.jpg

Ripley is my year and a half year old Newfoundland. We had chickens before we got her, so she has been around them her whole life (her breeder had chickens as well). While she does sorta chase them (she is trying to herd them but doesn't really have the herding instinct) I trust her completely with my birds. She has started barking even at vultures and hawks.
28480_farmdog3.jpg

Both my girls watching out for scary chicken eating monsters.
28480_farmdogs.jpg

Back
Top Bottom