WHAT KIND OF "PEOPLE" FOOD CAN CHICKENS EAT?

Definitely not true - take chocolate for example.

take chocolate for an example. Can you report one instance you absolutely know to be true where a chicken ate a small amount of chocolate & died? I can report any number of times where I tossed the stale remains of a chocolate cake into a run with 50 or 60 chickens who quickly consumed the cake & were fine. It's all about amount consumed. If you ate enough chocolate at one time it would kill you but who eats that much chocolate all at once. There are any number of things that would be harmful to chickens if they made up their entire diet but small amounts are fine.
I really don't care what anyone else feeds their chickens & after 50+ years with poultry I'm gonna stick with what has worked in my experience. It does bother me when people post info that I know to be false because many people with little or no experience come here to learn. As another poster suggested, common sence applies.

Well, since you seem to know more than the contributors to the Merck Veterinary Manual, explain this. According to the Merck Veterinary Manual: "Ingestion of avocado has been associated with myocardial necrosis in mammals and birds. Cattle, goats, horses, mice, rabbits, guinea pigs, rats, sheep, budgerigars, canaries, cockatiels, ostriches, chickens, turkeys, and fish are susceptible. Ingestion of fruit, leaves, stems, and seeds of avocado has been associated with toxicosis in animals; however leaves are the most toxic part."

Here's the link for those who want to see some other foods, plants, chemicals, that are toxic: http://www.merckmanuals.com/vet/toxicology/food_hazards/avocado.html

For the record, the factual basis of the Merck Veterinary Manual existed long before the internet.

Perhaps that's all just too dramatic for some people. The rest will use good sense.

Last I knew humans were mammals-does this mean I have to give up Guacamole? bad news for my favorite Mexican resaurant.

Originally Posted by NYREDS 

take chocolate for an example. Can you report one instance you absolutely know to be true where a chicken ate a small amount of chocolate

Did I say if chickens eat a small amount of chocolate they will die?  No, I didn't.  However, you try feeding your chickens large amounts of chocolate over a period of time, and see how well they go.  Not well.  Whether they die or not, that's not the point.  The point is how healthy they will be. And after doing that, I doubt they will be.  

I'd also like to add that not everyone has as much experience with poultry as you do so there is no need to be sarcastic - or criticize someone's opinion.

Last edited:
Who feeds their chickens chocolate? I for one won't be sharing
smile.png
Sandstorm and NYREDs, you both have your points but chocolate is the least of chicken feeding troubles. I was told onions, garlic and citrus were bad for chickens but I throw it in the run anyway. They take what they want and are fine. I've read several different articles on avocado which contradict each other. I now give them the green flesh but not the skin or the stone. My chickens get any leftover muffins and cake slices (which are low in wheat and sugar due to an allergy-related diet) and we get lots of yummy eggs. But I wouldn't give them a whole cake.

Who feeds their chickens chocolate?  I for one won't be sharing :)  Sandstorm and NYREDs, you both have your points but chocolate is the least of chicken feeding troubles.  I was told onions, garlic and citrus were bad for chickens but I throw it in the run anyway.  They take what they want and are fine.  I've read several different articles on avocado which contradict each other.  I now give them the green flesh but not the skin or the stone.  My chickens get any leftover muffins and cake slices (which are low in wheat and sugar due to an allergy-related diet) and we get lots of yummy eggs.  But I wouldn't give them a whole cake.  

In response to your question - who feeds their chickens chocolate? - , NYREDS does.

Last I knew humans were mammals-does this mean I have to give up Guacamole? bad news for my favorite Mexican resaurant.

Nah, there's a Merck manual for humans, But the one I referenced is for veterinarians. If you want to apply veterinary science to yourself as a livestock "mammal", go ahead. Bon appetit with your guacamole as far as I'm concerned. Don't just limit yourself to Avocados though. Here's a whole list of choices for you:
http://www.merckmanuals.com/vet/toxicology.html

Back
Top Bottom